White noise/hiss

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

billlozon

White noise/hiss

Post by billlozon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 am

Brad, if you're still monitoring this site perhaps you can give me some advice: the Link's working fine but no matter what I try, no matter which guitar I use, there's a persistent "white noise" sort of hiss. I use the noise suppressor pedal, turn down the trebal, etc. nothing seems to make a difference. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bradley_ny

Re: White noise/hiss

Post by bradley_ny » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 am

Bill - I mentioned in the other thread, but wanted to be sure I mentioned it here too.

The most common cause of major hiss in the output is having your iPhone/iPod/iPad charging while using LiNK. Having it plugged in will cause electrical interference that we can't compensate for.

Following that, it could be a simple balance issue between device volume, Amp volume and input/output gain. If you want to email me at info@agilepartners I'll certainly help troubleshoot setups.

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Knowing that I shouldn't have my Ipad plugged into AC while using the software will certainly help and I'm looking forward to trying that when I'm back home... the only place I use the Ipad plugged in like that. I never have it plugged into AC on a gig.
The white noise hiss is very apparent during my normal Sunday nite gig at church playing thru my Fender 212DSP. Believe me, it's not turned up high either gain or volume-wise. I play a variety of guitars (Strat, Reverse Flying V, Variax Line 6, Martin Acoustic/Electric) depending on the song line up - are you saying I'd need to make adjustments to the software every time I change guitars? That's not a very user-friendly "feature" since the time between songs is often just long enough to switch instruments. Any alternative suggestions? Thanks.,

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 am

I think you and I are emailing at this point, but for anyone else watching on...

Generally, changing guitars doesn't need a setup unless you're dealing with drastically different pickup characteristics. Playing through AmpKit and into your Fender is plenty doable - but you need to make sure that either the Amps in AmpKit are clean/off, or that your Fender is set to an uber-clean setup. If you're doubling up on the amp effects, that could also cause some extra noise that you don't want.

If you want, you can also send me your setups - I can have a look and try to help troubleshoot.

billlozon

Post by billlozon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 am

Brad you and I [i]are[/i] in email contact but I've learned something even from this posting - about making sure the AmpKit amps are off/clean. Thanks for the continued support. Thanks.