Line out on the Ampkit Link HD

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

joshuajonah

Line out on the Ampkit Link HD

Post by joshuajonah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm interested in buying this as I have fallen in love with my iRig, even though it's a flaming piece of crap.

I have one issue with the iRig that has really bothered me(more than the obvious issues associated with a miniplug adapter). When using the headphone output to go into my P.A., it is a stereo output and I can use a stereo 1/8" female-female cable, this allows me to plug into the "line-in" on the amp, however it really doesn't make much volume, especially when I have to turn down the iPad so the iRig doesn't go into a feedback frenzy. I have trouble competing with other guitars and mics plugged into the same P.A. as the "line-in" on the amp seems to be attenuated in the hardware circuit.

I figured "I'll just use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and plug into a channel on the P.A., that will be louder", so I bought a stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and tried it only to find that the stereo connector doesn't work in the mono 1/4" inputs on the P.A.. "Ah, well we'll try the other way", so I go to the store and buy a mono 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Tried it out and the miniplug cable I have doesn't contact the right pins on the adapter.

Is this new Ampkit Link HD's "line-out" a mono output? If so, will this allow me to somehow plug into a P.A. channel so I can make my dirty screaming 80's guitar actually scream with the rest of the acoustics and stuff plugged directly in?

bradley_ny

Re: Line out on the Ampkit Link HD

Post by bradley_ny » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Good question -

Yes, the middle "Line Out" of the LiNK HD is purpose built for mixers or amps. Yes, it is a stereo signal. If you're not using any stereo effects, you can use a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono converter cable (we used to use one all the time). You can also use a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" stereo then split the board-end into two channels (or use a mixer channel designed for stereo). If you look at the majority of vids we made at NAMM this last January, that's exactly what we did. http://www.youtube.com/user/agilepartners/

Hope that's helpful :)

joshuajonah

Post by joshuajonah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Ah, just realized they make such a thing.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-1 ... 1169103.gc

I guess I need to buy one of these in either case (iRig or Link HD).

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:43 pm

In the case of LiNK HD, you will get quite a bit less cross-talk in the connection since it's a digital signal. As you mention, any unpowered audio-jack connector will suffer that more.

joshuajonah

Post by joshuajonah » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Yeah, regardless of how I hook it up, the iRig is like an annoying screaming child I have to constantly be bothered with and adjust mid-song continuously until I just say forget it and bring a freaking tube amp next time.

mrichey55

Post by mrichey55 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 am

Just ordered a rapco 1/8" to 1/4" mono cable, 15 feet ... should do the job.
Question, on the NAMM demos, it shows the ampkit mounted to a mic stand. Is there a mount that can be purchased? If not, how what was used to mount it? Thanks! Oh yeah, like many others ... wondering when a foot controller will be available.

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:14 am

We used wire-ties to secure the cables below and above the LiNK HD in the NAMM videos. That way we could move the stands quickly without worrying about stressing the cable connections.

Foot-controller support is live - thanks!

mrichey55

Post by mrichey55 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:09 am

Ahh, cable ties ... of course! Thanks for the reply.
You say the foot controller is "live". Guess I'm not looking in the right places, where can I find it?

Imran

Post by Imran » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:31 am

I'm interested in buying this as I have fallen in love with my iRig, even though it's a flaming piece of crap.

I have one issue with the iRig that has really bothered me(more than the obvious issues associated with a miniplug adapter). When using the headphone output to go into my P.A., it is a stereo output and I can use a stereo 1/8" female-female cable, this allows me to plug into the "line-in" on the amp, however it really doesn't make much volume, especially when I have to turn down the iPad so the iRig doesn't go into a feedback frenzy. I have trouble competing with other guitars and mics plugged into the same P.A. as the "line-in" on the amp seems to be attenuated in the hardware circuit.

I figured "I'll just use a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and plug into a channel on the P.A., that will be louder", so I bought a stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and tried it only to find that the stereo connector doesn't work in the mono 1/4" inputs on the P.A.. "Ah, well we'll try the other way", so I go to the store and buy a mono 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Tried it out and the miniplug cable I have doesn't contact the right pins on the adapter.