AmpKit Link HD AC adapter

The AmpKit LiNK audio interface raises the audio fidelity bar for the iPhone platform. AmpKit LiNK is an iPhone, iPod touch* and iPad interface for electric guitar, bass, or any line level source, with an output that can be connected to headphones, powered speakers or a PA.

Moderator: AmpKit Support

brettp

AmpKit Link HD AC adapter

Post by brettp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 am

I see a lot about the 'optional AC adapter' for the AmpKit Link HD, but nothing specific other than 'available soon'. What are the specs for the AC adapter (voltage, current, polarity)? Is it possible to use a generic AC adapter with the right specs?

bradley_ny

Re: AmpKit Link HD AC adapter

Post by bradley_ny » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 am

Because of the wattage/amperage needed to charge an iOS device through the LiNK HD, a generic adapter will not work.

We're working to get them out ASAP - we know how important this is.

brettp

Post by brettp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:36 pm

Well, an iPad charger is 5V/2.1A/10W. There are a gazillion third party chargers out there so obviously it's not rocket science.

That leads me to wonder whether there's some other technical reason why charging -- which is one of the killer features of the AmpKit Link HD -- isn't supported yet.

I'm not in the US so not only will I be waiting for the adapter to be released, but I will possibly have to wait even longer for an international version. If the DC port on the AmpKit is standard and its specifications published, that problem goes away.

mankind

Post by mankind » Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Could you please publish the power requirements for this unit as this is the main reason why I bought it...I don't want to have to wait to buy an "official" charger considering any charger with the right specs would suffice.

Awaiting your reply.
cheers

Oddnoun

Post by Oddnoun » Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I am also an owner of the AmpKit Link HD and would very much like to know either the specs for the AC Adapter so I can purchase a generic one or know when the AC Adapter will be released? It would have been better to release them together to save time or at least thrown it in as a nice value add to make the cost more worth while.

Could Peavey do a promotion where if you purchased an AmpKit Link HD before the adapter was released, proof via receipt or warranty registration, to get one free and just pay shipping and handling?

If it is not going to be released soon or known when it will be released then I may just return the item and wait for them both to be available.

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 am

We wish there was a generic specification that you could either pick up at the local electronics shop, or franken-build at home, but there is not. I will check with the engineers to see if there are specs available and post if possible.

mankind

Post by mankind » Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 am

bradley_ny wrote:We wish there was a generic specification that you could either pick up at the local electronics shop, or franken-build at home, but there is not. I will check with the engineers to see if there are specs available and post if possible.
You got anything for us mate? Cheers

rjim

Post by rjim » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

...and is there a projected price?

brettp

Post by brettp » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 pm

I am starting to suspect that the charging mode is in fact vapourware that will never work.

The reason (see for example discussion here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16782) is that when the iPad is in USB host mode, it *supplies* power to power an accessory; it doesn't accept power.

When the AmpKit link is plugged in to the iPad, the iPad would almost certainly be in USB host mode. So I can't see how it could work at all.

fortunjj

Post by fortunjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 pm

The Alesis IO dock can charge the device while providing digital audio I/O. So it can be done. The Alesis supply is 6V at 3 amps. I was going to try that using a supply with a crowbar at my lab where I can monitor the current, but I figured I would wait until the right supply (or the specs) were released. No sense in cooking the iPad, the Link HD or both. I am curious, though, as to what the hold-up is.

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 pm

We appreciate the skepticism in the face of delays - but it's most certainly not vaporware. There are multiple parties involved, and believe that we're working to get the adapter out there as soon as possible.

We used the AC adapter (our prototypes) all through NAMM, and they kept the demo devices at 100% all day, for 5 days straight. You can see the as the second wire coming from the top of the LiNK HD in most of our vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEHfr0O ... o0&index=1

Still working - we'll keep you posted as we know more.

bassdriver

Post by bassdriver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 am

how are those ampkit link power supplies coming along?

bradley_ny

Post by bradley_ny » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm

I check every day - I don't have new info, except to say that they are coming as quickly as we can get them :)

mnk66

Post by mnk66 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:12 am

Open Letter to Peavey (Forum and email)

Dear Peavey Support,

as much as I appreciate your personal support efforts (http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31053) since April I must admit now it is September and the situation is not acceptable. This product was sold under the premise of a power supply available separately (see the pictures of your product box) not under the premise available maybe sometime soon.

It don't help me in any way if you show me videos where your company have prototypes of such devices.

I give your company two more weeks to open the specs, what kind of power supply of your company or any other company is usable with your product. If no information is available at that point of time I will send my product back to dealer, where I bought it, with the demand from my lawyer to stop selling products under false premises. Which was in fact Europe's biggest mail order company for music products. I would regret that step since I like your product but without the power supply it is only usable for an hour or two without reloading the IPad for hours, which is in fact the clear opposite of the product premise charge while you play.

I will also contact all and every review web page with the request to update their reviews to the real facts that charge and play is not possible at this point of time!

With best regards

bassdriver

Post by bassdriver » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 am

I echo the above. It would seem to me that Peavey's efforts to rush this product to market just ahead of the announced realease date of iRig HD, without the power supply available, or even close to being available, have indeed damaged the reputation of what is/was otherwise a trusted friend in music/sound equipment. IK Multimedia had a production problem(s) which delayed, more than once, the release of iRig HD. They at least had the patience to get their ducks in a row before sending it to market. In retrospect, I would have waited a bit longer, but would have been satisfied with having what is, without a doubt, the most important feature-and Peavey's biggest selling point of the AmpKit Link HD-the ability to plug and play, and not be limited by charging cycles. Knowing this, I would have chosen another product since I would also have the convenience of a Lightning Plug lead, and not have the additional expense of buying a 30 pin adapter, nor dealing with a volume control that's scratchy. Sorry Peavey, but if I don't get satisfaction in 2 weeks, I will try to will force my hand with Guitar Center and return it. If they or you won't satisfy me, I will NEVER buy another Peavey product, nor will I patronize Guitar Center any longer. There are simply too many other choices I can make. Thanks for letting me rant. I sincerely hope that a month doesn't pass as it did for your last reply.