Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Bellzemos

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

Post by Bellzemos » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying an used Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 (Made in USA, 1994) for 260 Euros.

Anyone who owns it or knows it, please help me:

1. Is it worth that price?
2. How loud is it? I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 at home, is Stereo Chorus twice as loud?
3. How can I use my BOSS ME-8 multiefect unit since it has no send/return efects loop? I've read that the in/out holes in the back of this amp can be used as an effects loop, but I don't understand how.
4. How heavy is it (weight)?

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Best Way To Know It Is For You = Test Drive

Extra Speaker Does Not Make Twice The Volume

Second Speaker Pushes More Air & Adds Depth

Believe It Is Made To Have Left & Right (Thus, Stereo Chorus)

Should Work Good With Pedal IF It Hooks Up OK

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:04 pm

I have the stereo Chorus 212. Bought it brand new in 1990. The version you are looking at has an extra tone control in the drive channels then mine has.

If the amplifier is completely operational it is worth the money. I spent $720.78 new for it in 1990. If you look at it in peices, it is definitely worth the money. Two scorpion speakers will cost around $200.00.

If you like Chorus it has a nice sound. Also, the digital reverb that is built into the amp sounds wonderful. The distortion channel can become a bit over saturated (Peavey SuperSat+ circuit). if you let it. I like the clean channel alot on this amp. It is currently the only solid state amp that I have and the clean channel is why I keep it.

I think the SC212 is one of the Peavey bargins in the used market at the moment.

I agree with Cincy...if you have a chance try it first, it may not be your cup of tea.
Last edited by studiodtk5 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Sorry I responded but didn't answer your questions....
Bellzemos wrote:Hello!

I'm thinking of buying an used Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 (Made in USA, 1994) for 260 Euros.

Anyone who owns it or knows it, please help me:

1. Is it worth that price? YES!

2. How loud is it? I also have a Peavey Bandit 112 at home, is Stereo Chorus twice as loud? Technically yes it will be at least twice as loud. You have twice the available power as the Bandit (if I remember correctly the Bandit is 65W) and twice the number of speakers. It is a long drawn out explanation if you want it I can give that to you next time.
3. How can I use my BOSS ME-8 multiefect unit since it has no send/return efects loop? I've read that the in/out holes in the back of this amp can be used as an effects loop, but I don't understand how. I have never used the Preamp out/Power amp ins on the back of the amp, because the amp effects were enough for me. How they are set up is this...Channel 1 is preamp out (dry) and power amp in, Channel 2 is preamp out (mixed) and power amp in.
4. How heavy is it (weight)? It is heavey like all 212 combos I have ever handled. I think my Fender Twin Reverb is a bit heavier.
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Thank you so much for your help!

My Peavey Bandit 112 is 80W. Twice the power (loudness) will be enough for my band practice I think. Bandit was always lacking some more, if I turned the volume over 6 (lead channel) the sound became muddy.

Surely I will first try the Stereo Chorus, but I already think I will like it a lot! I can use it with my BOSS ME-8 multiefect unit before the input (guitar->boss->peavey), but I'd rather use Peavey's dirty channel for distortion. I'm confused about that Preamp out/Power amp ins on the back of the amp... BOSS ME-8 has one input and two outputs (stereo), so it would be wonderful if I could use via send/return in a stereo way. I guess I'll have to take my effects with me when I'll try the amp and try every possible combination. I can't damage anything if I connect something wrong in the Preamp out/Power amp in section, right?

And another question: is it possible to turn all the integrated effects off (chorus, reverb...), right?

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:32 pm

I never had any trouble using the Stereo Chorus 212 to hear over my band. That does not mean it will work for you though.

Remember technically twice is loud is a bit subtle. 3 dB describes something that is twice as loud.

You can not hurt anything by trying the pre-amp out to power amp input. What I would suggest, if you want the ability to use the internal effects at all, then you connect the Channel 2 pramp out to you ME-8. Connect the stereo output of the ME-8 to both power amp inputs. Then you should have the stereo effect that you are looking for.

The SC212 comes with a comprehensive foot pedal that allows you to deactivate all internal effects and switch between clean/lead/crunch channels.
Darren

jimdep

Post by jimdep » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:28 am

Is there any other 2x12 combo that has more power than the Peavey SC 212?

It's rated at 135 watts per side! The clean channel has the most headroom of ......clean.......that I've heard from a SS combo. Loud and clean which is the makings of an amp that will take pedals well, although I also like the on board effects. The LED footswitch gives you control over the LEAD / CRUNCH channels, Bypass / Clean, Reverb & echo select, and Chorus on/off. There's a lot you can do with this and well worth the price you should be able to get a used one for. The weight is what...80 or 90 lbs? Use a hand truck for this one.

Good luck.

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:36 am

Can I in any way hurt my BOSS multieffect unit when trying the pre in/out? And where in chain does the effects loop put the BOSS efects? I guess that most of the FX will work nice since it will put them behind Peavey's distortion (delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, harmonits, volume...), but some won't work good since they should be inserted before Peavey's distortion (compressor, wah wah...)? Thanx!

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm

The PreAmp outs put the peadal after all onboard effects before the power amp.

I have never used these outputs before, but I can not see how they will hurt your ME8.

I put teh pop-out wheels on the bottom of mine. Moves pretty easy that way. Stairs will break your back though!
Darren

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:41 pm

If you really have questions, the manuals are online.

My version is this:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 300895.pdf

The 1994 Version is this:
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 301387.pdf
Darren

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 am

Thank you for your help!

Today I connected my BOSS ME-8 via my Bandit's effect loop (send/return) but I wasn't pleased with the result. The harmonist effect (intelligent pitch shifting) was all muddy and weird - unusable. If I connect it before the amp (guitar -> ME-8 -> Bandit) then it sounds great. I also tried it with another amp (Fender Frontman) and got the same resoult.

Can you tell me why is that so and what can be done? I want to use Peavey's distortion rather than BOSS' so...

Thanx!

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Bellzemos wrote:I connected my BOSS ME-8 via my Bandit's effect loop (send/return) but I wasn't pleased with the result. The harmonist effect (intelligent pitch shifting) was all muddy and weird - unusable. If I connect it before the amp (guitar -> ME-8 -> Bandit) then it sounds great. I also tried it with another amp (Fender Frontman) and got the same resoult.

Can you tell me why is that so and what can be done?
This is not a Peavey issue, it's that you are not using the ME8 as it was intended. When in doubt, check the manual.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/ME-8_OM.pdf

1st, plug your guitar into the ME8.

2nd, run the EXT OD SEND from the back of the ME8 into the Bandit's INPUT.

3rd, take the EFFECTS SEND from the Bandit and connect it to the ME8 EXT OD RETURN.

4th, run a cable from the OUTPUT (MONO) of the ME8 to the EFFECTS RETURN on your Bandit.

That should do it. :idea:

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:27 pm

When I look at that manual, I do not think it is compatible with any onboard combo distrotion via an effects loop.

If you attempt to place the effects loop of a combo into the EX OD send/return, you will have the entire amp signal. If you place the the normal mono output of the ME8 into the combo input and place the ME8 into the effects loop of the amp, you wil most likely cause a feedback loop.

The only thing that I see to be possible is to plug the guitar into the amp. Then plug the external OD into the effect loop. Place the EX OD as the first item in all of your chains and always leave it on.

The more I look at it, I am not sure that will even work.

This is exactly why I never bought a multi-effects unit....I get furstrated with the manual and programming.....then I plug directly into the amp.
Darren

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm 99% certain it will work as I described it.

Try it and see... :idea:

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 am

I tried it and IT WORKED!!! :D I turned on the BOSS ME-8 before I connected all the cables and ME-8 did something weird, it went into tuner mode when I inserted a cable into EXT OD. So then I turned ME-8 off and connected everything as you said. I turned on the Bandit and ME-8 and it worked! But now I can't control volume with Bandit anymore, ME-8 acts as the master volume now. And I can't boost Bandit's drive channel with ME-8's overdrive, but that's the only two drawbacks, everything else seems to be perfect. Sure, I will have to use 4 calbes instead of 2, but it's worth it I think. I'm only concerned if this is safe for the ME-8 (and for the Bandit)? Is this connection safe, even at high volumes? Should I use some special cables maybe? Other than that I can only say THANK YOU and this forum in general is a gold mine of helpful Peavey users! Thank you all! :)