4 Low Rider 18's on 2 RMX 2450's - Best boxes?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
djiceman1575

4 Low Rider 18's on 2 RMX 2450's - Best boxes?

Post by djiceman1575 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm currently planning on purchasing 4 Low Rider 18's opposed to Eminence Omega 18's at a new setup. The setup will be used for mostly DJ'ing hip hop/dance music, some harder techno, & live uses. There will be one RMX 2450 to a pair in bridge mono, delivering ~2500w to the pair. What would be the best way to put these in boxes? Would they work good in 2 subs to a box, or can I run them individually? Thanks.

SemperFiSound

Re: 4 Low Rider 18's on 2 RMX 2450's - Best boxes?

Post by SemperFiSound » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, once you get the Thiele/Small parameters for the Low Rider and figure out the proper box dimensions and porting, I am sure the end result will look remarkably like a QW-118 or a QW-218.

And 2500w to two of these is low balling them a bit. I push 3600 to a pair (QW-218) and they rock the house. Headroom is everything in the sub world, keeps them from tearing themselves apart, especially in the environment you are planning on using them in.

Two coupled together in a bin can be slightly more efficient than two separate bins pushed together, but not really an audible difference by most humans. It depends upon your space available and room acoustics (is the room long enough to allow a low freq signal to properly propagate?).

If the room is strangely shaped or shallow, you might be better off with a few singles strategically placed than two pair throwing from only two single points in the room.

Let us know what your room and/or dance floor consists of and we can go from there.
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

djiceman1575

Post by djiceman1575 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:00 pm

SemperFiSound wrote:Well, once you get the Thiele/Small parameters for the Low Rider and figure out the proper box dimensions and porting, I am sure the end result will look remarkably like a QW-118 or a QW-218.

And 2500w to two of these is low balling them a bit. I push 3600 to a pair (QW-218) and they rock the house. Headroom is everything in the sub world, keeps them from tearing themselves apart, especially in the environment you are planning on using them in.

Two coupled together in a bin can be slightly more efficient than two separate bins pushed together, but not really an audible difference by most humans. It depends upon your space available and room acoustics (is the room long enough to allow a low freq signal to properly propagate?).

If the room is strangely shaped or shallow, you might be better off with a few singles strategically placed than two pair throwing from only two single points in the room.

Let us know what your room and/or dance floor consists of and we can go from there.
Steve
Yeah, if money wasn't an issue, I'd be glad to push as much as I could into them. For now though, that's about the best I can do. Should be alright, we pushed two Low Rider's on about 800 watts and it sounded fine for what we needed at the time. And two in one will work fine. And room, it will vary. Anything from outside to small bars to school gyms, and everything in between.

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Oh, okay. For some reason I gleaned that this for a more permanent installation. Sorry.

And for sure, if fiscal restraints are in place, you gotta start somewhere - been there, done that. Work with what you can and then get what you you really need when you can.

I pushed 14,400 watts into four VR-218s, (8 Low Max speakers), in a gym Saturday night and it didn't seem enough with 700 c razed teenagers screaming, but the venue management was happy, so okey-dokey.

To answer your question about "best boxes", the QW series boxes are engineered specifically for those drivers. If you are planning to replicate them through outstanding craftsmanship and woodworking, I salute you. I am not a woodworker and I would more than chew up the cost in Baltic Birch raw materials and "do-overs" in the structural support arena.

Best of luck,
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

djiceman1575

Post by djiceman1575 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 pm

SemperFiSound wrote:Oh, okay. For some reason I gleaned that this for a more permanent installation. Sorry.

And for sure, if fiscal restraints are in place, you gotta start somewhere - been there, done that. Work with what you can and then get what you you really need when you can.

I pushed 14,400 watts into four VR-218s, (8 Low Max speakers), in a gym Saturday night and it didn't seem enough with 700 c razed teenagers screaming, but the venue management was happy, so okey-dokey.

To answer your question about "best boxes", the QW series boxes are engineered specifically for those drivers. If you are planning to replicate them through outstanding craftsmanship and woodworking, I salute you. I am not a woodworker and I would more than chew up the cost in Baltic Birch raw materials and "do-overs" in the structural support arena.

Best of luck,
Steve
Haha, well I'm bass crazy, but I've found my current Yamaha's did okay outside, considering I got the cops called on us...but those are less powerful than the Peavey's so definitely a lot more response will come out lol.

Is there anything particular to the inside of the box that would need attention paid to? Or is it just a basic ported box? Thanks.

col

Post by col » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm

djiceman1575,

How did you go with your 4 x 18" Low Riders? Iv'e bought 4 and plan to run them in small single driver, ported boxes around 145ltr, according to the Peavey spec sheet that came with the drivers.

Will be powering them with a single IPR3000

col.

djiceman1575

Post by djiceman1575 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 am

col wrote:djiceman1575,

How did you go with your 4 x 18" Low Riders? Iv'e bought 4 and plan to run them in small single driver, ported boxes around 145ltr, according to the Peavey spec sheet that came with the drivers.

Will be powering them with a single IPR3000

col.
Eh, had a change of plans. Friend traded me some old DTH cabinets and I'm going to swap some 15's in there.

col

Post by col » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:27 pm

The boxes I'm using had 15"s in them. Filled one full of water and it took 139ltrs. With port and driver displacement I'm down to 120ltrs. It still models in WinISD pretty good, so will give it a try.

cheers,
col.

col

Post by col » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Just to report back. Was testing the 18" LowRider in the 139ltr (120ltr, with ports and driver displacement) box last night. It has 3 x 102mm X 330mm ports. I had to cut out the 20hz using EQ but the box performed great!

You really can squeeze these things in small boxes and get good results :wink:

col.