Peavey Mark III 16 Channel Mixer to Alesis ADAT XT hookup

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
swamprocker

Peavey Mark III 16 Channel Mixer to Alesis ADAT XT hookup

Post by swamprocker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:02 am

I picked up an Alesis ADAT XT 8 track recorder with very little use and a nice used Peavey Mark III 16 channel mixing console to do some band recording. My question is the connections hooking up the ADAT to the mixer & back. I've used a few different mixers over the years but this is the first large console. I have two 8 channel recording snakes witch are rca to 1/4". The ins and outs on the adat are rca and all the jacks on the Peavey board are 1/4". The adat guide says to connect the 8 outputs from the adat to the mixer's 8 tape or line ins, and then connect the mixer's bus outs to the adat ins. Each channel on the mixer has pre & post sends and returns and there are 4 master faders marked main a & b & mon a & b and also stereo, sum and effects level controls. On the back of the mixer it has 1 tape out, 2 line outs, 2 effects outs, 6 aux inputs marked main a&b, effects a & b and monitor a & b, effects return, sum in, sum aux, sum out and finally 2 main & 2 monitor outs witch i assume go to the power amp and power the speakers. So that leads me to where i make my connections and how many tracks i'm capable of recording at once. I think this is what they call a 4 bus and i only need to record 4 tracks at once. Then i'm mixing down to a Sony CDR recorder. Help is greatly appreciated here.

Wooferhound

Re: Peavey Mark III 16 Channel Mixer to Alesis ADAT XT hooku

Post by Wooferhound » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:28 pm

You can record an individual channel from all the channels on the Peavey Mark III, up to 16 channels in your case. Use the 1/4 inch jacks that are next to the XLR input connectors.

The Pre-Out will give you a straight unchanged output without any EQ or Fader control at all.
The Post-Out will give you the EQed signal from the output and volume controlled by the Fader.

When you mix down, send your playback outputs to the Line Ins on the channels, mix it down, and take your mixed output from the Main A and B.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 am

In addition to what Wooferhound said, since you have a 16 channel mixer and an 8-Track recorder.
Use the first eight channels as you recording channels via connecting the Post Outputs to the 8-Track inputs. From the 8-Track outputs go into channels 9 - 16. This would be the best management of your resources.

swamprocker

Post by swamprocker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:49 am

Wooferhound wrote:You can record an individual channel from all the channels on the Peavey Mark III, up to 16 channels in your case. Use the 1/4 inch jacks that are next to the XLR input connectors.

The Pre-Out will give you a straight unchanged output without any EQ or Fader control at all.
The Post-Out will give you the EQed signal from the output and volume controlled by the Fader.

When you mix down, send your playback outputs to the Line Ins on the channels, mix it down, and take your mixed output from the Main A and B.
Ok, so i can use the pre or post sends as direct outs to the adat, that's what confused me alittle because the adat manual said to connect to the mixers bus outs witch would be the the 4 faders on the bottom right, main a&b and mon a&b outs on the back?

swamprocker

Post by swamprocker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:16 am

Then to mixdown and record out to cd recorder i use the main a & b outs, not the tape line a & b outs?

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 am

swamprocker wrote:Then to mixdown and record out to cd recorder i use the main a & b outs, not the tape line a & b outs?
Either will work it is a matter of employing the correct interface.