Peavey 5150 Signature - New Tubes, and Blowing Fuses ????

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
guitarguru777

Peavey 5150 Signature - New Tubes, and Blowing Fuses ????

Post by guitarguru777 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:12 am

I recently purchased a set of Sovtek 6L6WXT+ Tubes for the power section in my amp. I have been playing on them with no issues for the last 2 months with no problems. Tonight I played a gig and halfway through the set the amp just stopped working. The standby light wont go on or off and its got no sound coming out. I opened up the chassis and there is a blown fuse. replacing the fuse is an easy job but I am wondering what would cause this. Most of the research I have done online suggests bad power tubes, but the ones I just bought are brand new with less then 10 hours on them. They were purchased from Tube Depot as a matched quad, but they were not pre-burned in.

Another possible cause would be how I run my FX Loop, My FX loop contains a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay. The Wylde over drive is set 100% clean and acts more like an EQ / Volume boost. I am wondering if this could have been the cause of the issue. Kinda doent make sense since I have heard of guys running Volume pedals in the loops of their amp. The pedal give me a really nice volume and mid boost almost like having an entirely separate channel on the amp.

Amp gurus please help I don't want to have to keep replacing fuses every few gigs :(
Peavey 5150
Peavek Valve King 1x12
Peavey 15B Bass Amp

Enzo

Re: Peavey 5150 Signature - New Tubes, and Blowing Fuses ???

Post by Enzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:45 am

Nothing you can do from the outside will blow that fuse. Oh possibly a dead short across the speaker leads might, but even that, probably not.

Tubes can fail at any time, new or old. Usually a power tube is what causes the high voltage fuse to blow. Fuses also can blow from mechanical stress - cycling power on and off puts a little stress on a fuse each time. And just banging the amp around in the back seat can shake the fuses. Of course that shakes the tubes as well.

REplace the fuse and see if it happenes again. If it becomes a habit, we might have to see if one of the tubes is bad. If you ever see fireworks INSIDE a tube, that is a sign of death.

KTB

Post by KTB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am

^^^exactly, Any tube can fail at any time and is the #1 cause of blown fuses.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 am

Contact Tube Depot......

New power tubes have @ 60 - 90 day warranty

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

guitarguru777

Post by guitarguru777 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks guys :)

Now for the 2nd part, is it safe to be running an OD pedal in the loop? Will it cause any long term damage?
Peavey 5150
Peavek Valve King 1x12
Peavey 15B Bass Amp

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 pm

OD Pedals normally run "upfront".........

Direct in-line from guitar to pedals to guitar input jack @ amp.

"Time" pedals via Effects Loop.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

guitarguru777

Post by guitarguru777 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I know, i use a TS in front of the amp, as stated the ZW OD is used only as a EQ / Volume Boost. Gain on 0 Output on 7 Tone completely flat. Its give a real nice mid boost along with a volume boost, I am not sure if its "safe" to do though. I'm thinking it should be since its an un-powered preamp signal I am pumping into the pedal then back into the power section of the amp. It shouldn't harm anything in theory.

In laymans terms: I am not some green kid who has no clue how to set up pedals :P
Peavey 5150
Peavek Valve King 1x12
Peavey 15B Bass Amp

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:30 pm

Nothing you can do from the outside will blow that fuse.

Let me amend that: except for the speaker jacks, nothing you connect to the jacks will hurt the amp.

Overdrive pedals distort the sound, that is all they do. Distortion can't hurt the tubes or the resistors or anything else. If your external device has too strong a signal, then it will distort the amp. If it has too weak a signal, then it won;t be very loud.

USUALLY effects with gain are better in front of the amp, while time related things (reverb, delay, chorus) are better in the loop. But that is about how it SOUNDS, nothing to do with safety. And if you connect it up in a non-usual manner, if you like the resulting sound, then it is OK.

Now before someone brings it up... Yes, if you take the output of some other amp, and instead of conecting it to a speaker, you plug it into the FX return of a different amp, it might hurt something. But the speaker output of some other amp is not usually considered an "effect."