Question about updating Peavey Speakers

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
topflightdj

Question about updating Peavey Speakers

Post by topflightdj » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 pm

I have 2 sets of SP4 G series and a set of the last DTH series, I love my cabinets they are in very good shape I took my SP4s and got them sprayed with X Liner. My question is I want to update my woofers with the new woofers so that I can achieve the max watts like the new peavey sp4s and 218s. Can I only replace the baskets and keep my old magnets or do I need to replace the whole woofer for my subs and with my Sp4s the same or do I have to change out the crossovers also. Which leaves me with another question can I change out my 22XT diaphragm with a RX 22, any suggestions?

tmbrandis

Re: Question about updating Peavey Speakers

Post by tmbrandis » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 am

No, no and no. This has been covered numerous times here on this board. You can not simply put in place another transducer which has different parameters than the original speaker. Speaker cabs are deisgned around the actual driver that is going to be in them.

Please do a search for either T/S parameters, or, Thiele-Small Parameters.

Even if you could replace the basket with one that could handle more wattage, I doubt you'd even hear a difference. You'd have to double the power in order to hear the difference.

Stick with what you got, replace with OEM components, and if your not happy with the output, upgrade to better speakers within the Peavey family.
Tom in Baltimore

8 VR218's, 6 QW218's, 6 QW2F's, 2 QW3's, 4 QW1's, 4 QW215's, 18 VR112's, 16 QWmonitors.
14 GPS3500's, 6 CS4080Hz's, 12 CS4000's, 6 CS3000's, 4 GPS2600's, 4 GPS1500's.

theozzmancometh

Post by theozzmancometh » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Normally, the only direct replacements that you can perform on these older cabs is when they come loaded with Scorpion 15825s. You can replace those with a 150x-8 BW.

Unfortunately, both you DTH and your SP4's come with 150x-8 Black Widow drivers. The sp4's are listed as Neo as well.

Tom is correct, you'd have to upgrade to a different series of speaker to get more out of them (that you would hear, at least). QW series or VR are the next steps up...

If you feel the sound is lacking, perhaps the drivers are damaged.
1510HT - SP5Ti - LowRider18 - CS400 - CS800 - CS4000 - PVi

Nobody makes heavier duty touring class P.A. system components better than Peavey.

ANYthing can be engineered to perform well, but only the engineer can make the most with what they've got!!

autopsy42

Post by autopsy42 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

I know that it's not supposed to work, however, I transformed on old war weary set of SP4Gs with LoRiders on the Bottom, Pro Riders in the middle, and as soon as I can get my hands on a set of throat adapters 44xt horns on top. The sound is NOTICEABLE, very noticeable. These coupled with my 4080 ROCK. Oh by the way if any people are on here could you check on throat adapters for me. PLEASE?
Sound Odyssey Pro DJ Services and Mobile Audio Video Group

[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sound-Od ... 723968/url]

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:53 pm

autopsy42 wrote:I know that it's not supposed to work, however, I transformed on old war weary set of SP4Gs with LoRiders on the Bottom, Pro Riders in the middle, and as soon as I can get my hands on a set of throat adapters 44xt horns on top. The sound is NOTICEABLE, very noticeable. These coupled with my 4080 ROCK. Oh by the way if any people are on here could you check on throat adapters for me. PLEASE?

The RX 22 is a 2.2 inch diameter voice coil, a throat diameter and weighs 6 lbs and 5.5 ounces. The 44XT has a 4 inch voice coil, a 1.6 throat diameter and weighs 21 lbs. The SP-4G horn throat will NOT support the 15 lb. increase.

topflightdj

Post by topflightdj » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:22 pm

I want to thank everyone that replied to my question, I guess we all at some point have thought about shaping drivers to upgrade our sound. I figured I could treat my cabs like a classic car and by turning them in to a hot rod and add more punch to keep up with the newer series and save money by not by new speaker cabs.

topflightdj

Post by topflightdj » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:45 pm

To Marty when you replaced you black widows with low riders and pro riders did you just replaced the baskets or the whole woofer. I thought about doing the same the to my new 218s black widow with low max but I wasn't sure if the basket would fit my magnet or would I need the whole speaker.

autopsy42

Post by autopsy42 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:35 am

Entire speakers were replaced. I used those BWs to power some other Peavey Projects. On the 44s, I do realize the weight diff and have a support ready to implement. Does a throat adapter exist. To Peavey I do not plan on tinkering with my newer SP4s or SP6s but I have 6 44s just lying around collecting dust. The horn lens on them won't quite bolt up (too narrow if memory serves). At the risk of being redundant is a throat adapter available, if so shoot me a link.
Sound Odyssey Pro DJ Services and Mobile Audio Video Group

[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sound-Od ... 723968/url]