VALVEKING TIPS TRICKS AND MODS

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Tedzomplin

VALVEKING TIPS TRICKS AND MODS

Post by Tedzomplin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:07 am

I was checking out some other sites to read stuff on the VK's. I was skeptical on lots of stuff I saw.Then I tried one of the so called "simple mods" or tricks for the VK.Well folks,the FX loop jumper cable really does make a difference.I had always felt my VK100 head had a sort of a light blanket over its tone.I felt somehow there might be a capacitor or some circuit mod to unleash more clarity out of the amp.Well guys,just plug a jumper cable into the FX loop jacks and hear the difference for yourself.I dig it.It works.You get a clearer crisper tone.Go figure.One guy says it engages the FX loop buffer op amp or something.It just works.Made me happy.My VK is now more in the zone.

hbucker

Re: VALVEKING TIPS TRICKS AND MODS

Post by hbucker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 am

I use the loop for effects anyway. But I've been very pleased with mine. Maybe I'll disconnect the loop and see if I can hear any differences...

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:03 am

I always use the loop as well, but cant say I noticed any difference when I didnt. I'll have to check again. The main thing I find about my VK's is that each guitar requires a slightly different amp tweak to get the maximum tone for it. These are the most tuneable amps I have ever used. Almost to the point of touchy. I have to say I LOVE all the control and options. These amps rock. The OD channel can go from very early stones dirty to total sonic mayhem. You just have to have a second to dial it in. Gotta love it.
Dalrymple

hbucker

Post by hbucker » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

dalrymple wrote:The main thing I find about my VK's is that each guitar requires a slightly different amp tweak to get the maximum tone for it. These are the most tuneable amps I have ever used.
Dalrymple
I've noticed this too. Each guitar has a distinctly unique tone through the amp. I try to let that be the case rather than tuning the amp so that my tone is the same/similar regardless of the guitar. But I do find it nice that it doesn't homogenize each guitar so that they all sound the same.

My favorite guitar through the amp is probably my EBMM-EVH but each of my guitars, Wolfgang included, offers something a little different.

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:05 pm

Ted, would you mind if I asked on what sites you found the VK mod info? I've been looking for some ways to add a little more "rip" to my VK100 and you can bet I'll be trying the FX loop jumper as soon as I'm finished typing this. I really like the clean channel, but I'm looking for a little more distortion on the gain channel. Before I go and trade it in on a 5150, I want to exercise my options.

Also, I've noticed a lot of feedback on the gain channel even at relatively low volumes. I bought the thing used on eBay, so I have no idea what was done to it originally. It has been tubed with Ruby 6L6's and a Ruby reverb tank, so I don't think it has been neglected. Any help is appreciated.

Todd
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Your VK sounds all stock and a more recent one too.Mine too has the Ruby's and Ruby rev tank.The VK's i had last year had Sovtek 6L6WXT+ Stock power tubes and a Belton rev tank. The site was "Ultimate Guitar".I like the VK and all it has to offer.I've owned a 6505 aka 5150.Those are monsters for sure.It all depends what your after.For me,I find more versatility with the VK and a better clean channel.Mind you,having both would be most ideal ! 8)

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:37 pm

OK, so the Ruby's came stock. I thought it was an upgrade all this time. Did you notice a major difference in sound with the earlier Sovtek equipped VK's?

btw, thx for the website.
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:30 am

No,not really.I find either just fine.I think people get fooled by worn out or tired tubes.When worn out tubes get replaced by new ones there is quite a difference so then folks sneer at whatever they take out of the amp.Its not a fair judjement.Brand new tubes are surely going to make a big difference against used and tired ones no matter the brand.

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 am

Wow, that UG website is excellent! Didn't realize just how many other VK tweakers were out there. As for having the VK and a 5150... getting that past my wife is the problem :)
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:23 am

Ah yes,wives....I remember having had one of those.Now i have more amps and guitars and girlfriends.Why settle for less they say!
Yeah VK's are really decent amps.I think theyre on the way to becoming Another Classic Peavey icon,benchmark amp.I notice lots of Peavey amps get better with age.Hey, I would never part with my VTM and Rockmaster preamp.Have you tried the FX loop jumper? I have a demo of the VK halfstack I had last year on youtube if your interested.Just punch up "tedzomplin" on the youtube search.

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:54 am

Haven't tried the loop jumper or the input #1 dummy plug yet, but it's in the cards for later this afternoon. All my short patch cords are at the practice space... would a regular 12' instrument cable suffice? What am I saying, Guitar Center is right down the road! And from what I've been reading, an MXR 10-band EQ might be on my Christmas list this year as well...
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:32 am

Any cord will do. In my VK this doesn't seem to make any difference. If you're not getting enough out of the OD channel, you relly need to retube V-2 & V-3. I did this on my VK 212 and the difference is day & night. Currently using a NOS Phillips 12AX7 in V-2 and a Sovtek LPS in V-3. I have more gain & overdrive than I could ever use for what I play. It's a freaking monster.
Dalrymple

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Wow, I did the FX loop thing, tweaked the EQ, Presence and Resonance a little and it is on the verge of brutal! I did the dummy plug in input 1, but when I cranked it up it squealed like mad... my ears are still ringing. Not sure what the problem is, but I think I'll revisit that at a later date.

But I do have a couple LPS's laying around so I'll definitely have to swap them out.

So glad I found this forum :!:
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:13 pm

Glad to have you aboard on our fine family forum.That dummy plug into the input jack I believe all its going to do is make input 1 equal sensitivity as input 2 so input 1's gain is reduced to same as input 2's. I dont think I'd be into that trick.

frettila

Post by frettila » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:43 pm

Tedzomplin wrote:Glad to have you aboard on our fine family forum.That dummy plug into the input jack I believe all its going to do is make input 1 equal sensitivity as input 2 so input 1's gain is reduced to same as input 2's. I dont think I'd be into that trick.
I agree.
Last edited by frettila on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.