T-60 Solid Colors Paint

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
gjake

T-60 Solid Colors Paint

Post by gjake » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:40 am

I just purchased a 1980 White T-60 body. I know that the natural and burst bodies were finished with
polyurethane; did this also apply to the solid colors, or were they finished with some other type of paint, such as lacquer?

I read on Guitar Re Ranch that polyurethane is very difficult to remove, and the best thing to do with polyurethane is to sand it down, prime over it, then apply color and clear coats of lacquer.

Any answers/tips on this subject would be much appreciated.

Gene

wallym

Re: T-60 Solid Colors Paint

Post by wallym » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 am

I don't know about the paint but someone in the forum knows everything about it. I am looking at an early 80's T15 that is painted red. I heard that the solid color bodies of these guitars were made out of mahogany isntead of ash like the natural finish ones. I was thinking of removing the red paint and changing it to surf green. Consequently, I would be interested in knowing how to refinish it. The ferrite PU's in these guitars almost sound like P90's. What say you Frank Peavey?

RaptorMan

Post by RaptorMan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Here's the link to the T-60 Mafia ask Chip Todd Himself
http://t60mafia.com/
Go to Chip's Corner Then Chip's Tips & there's some great info on the painting of the T series there.
Hope this info helps you out..
Chip Todd has all the answers, Ask away at the forum, He will be more than than happy to answer them for you..

gjake

Post by gjake » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Thanks Raptorman,

I read the stuff on Chip's Tips this morning and tried writing him at the email address given on the
T-60 Mafia site, but it came back undeliverable.

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:10 am

Sorry about the busted link for Chip's email. The guy that is working on restoring all the old stuff from our original T-60 site/forum hasn't found all the bugs yet. Shoot me a PM with what you want to ask Chip plus your email address and I'll forward it to him.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2