New Transfex Pro 212

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
thunda

New Transfex Pro 212

Post by thunda » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:32 pm

I have a line on a New Transfex Pro 212. Apparently been on dealer's floor a really long time. Asking price is $299.00. Good deal?

thanks

ty
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Classic30inCincy

Re: New Transfex Pro 212

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am

Thinking........

Retail was @ $400.00+

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Yes and no. I believe MSRP on those was around $1200. The footswitch alone was around $400. So MSRP was closer to $1600, not $400...

I owned one for a while. I bought mine with the PFC10 footswitch for $400, used it for a year, then sold it for $350. Mine was used and had road rash to prove it, but everything worked as it was supposed to. I was able to get lots of amazing sounds, many of them musical, but many more that weren't so musical...

Personally I found the interface ungainly and difficult to navigate through in a realtime/live music environment. It might be useful for recording, but I think there are better recording options in the $300-400 range today...

One thing to keep in mind is that the digital processing in the TransFex Pro is 16 bit, which was state of the art for it's day (the 90's), but today your average digital amp (like the Roland Cubes) is going to have 24 bit processing, and digital rack gear is usually 32 bit, with some of the high end stuff going up to 64 bit.

I believe the Vypyr is actually 32 bit, twice the resolution of the TransFex Pro.

On the plus side, the TransFex Pro comes with Sheffield Turbo speakers, which is basically a cross between a Sheffield and a Black Widow. It's an awesome speaker... British cone, but huge magnets and high power rating. In retrospect, I wish I had swapped those speakers for regular Sheffs' before I sold it, as I don't think the buyer would have noticed either way.

If I came across another one for $300, I might just buy it and swap the speakers, then re-sell it for what I paid for it. Don't get me wrong, it's a heckuva lot of amp for $300, but in my opinion, it has shortcomings that justify the low price... Hope this helps!

ps. Here is an independent review comparing the Transfex Pro 212 with other digital amps of it's era:

http://www.johnson-amp.com/pdf/GuitaristCompare.pdf

EDIT: And I'd keep the Block logo badge too... I like the pointy logo too, but now that everything is back to the pointy logo, the block logo has a certain air of "unobtainium" around it... :P

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Ummm.... Ok.

Next time I'll try not to use so many words. :roll:

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Wow.......!

That Amp's Farther Back Than I Realized.

BlackFace / SilverStripe Mid To Late 90's Era.

Price I had in mind was for the Red Stripe Series modelling amp.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge