peavey project 1 system

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
ovum.music

peavey project 1 system

Post by ovum.music » Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm

hello, i just joined the forum.

there is a peavey project 1 system for sale in my local kijiji . I don't know much about these systems and I haven't found very much information through google. I would like to know the wattage, there value, sound quality and if there suitable for playing modern electronica music at medium sized gigs, or if there is another option that would suit me more appropriately.

here is the ad :

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z376882097

btw i currently have a peavey cs800s and can purchase another amp if needed/ suggested.

:mrgreen:

tralfaz

Re: peavey project 1 system

Post by tralfaz » Sat May 05, 2012 11:56 am

WoW! I used to use such a system a time warp ago . Except we had 2 bass bins per side and supertweaters above the hi horns (where is the face palm emoticon).

ASSuming that it is still working - it is BIG, HEAVEY, and plays pretty loud with not too much watts input. I would be very cautious about the condition of the drivers. That system has to be crossed over correctly and compared to modern systems uses a lot less power.

FH2s - it is very easy to destroy the dual 15s in the FH2 bass horn by trying to get more lows out of them than that box can produce. That horn unloads around 50-60hz. Even in perfect condition you WILL NOT get any useful output below 60hz. It also has a strong rising response up to 200 - 250hz needing some heavy eq. Finding replacement 15s for that cab may not be possible. With two cabs, stacked, and corner loaded you may get 50hz. They are however very efficient and back in the day delivered a very impressive 80hz chest thump from kik drums :D . I still own a working pair and use them in small rooms occasionally.

The MB1- I think that is the mid horn - might be a collectors item now to home theater horn lovers - kinda rare. But also easy to destroy the 12" cone driver (possibly 15"). Can't take much power at all below 200-250hz and the replacement speaker was the inverted dust cap model - unobtainium now.

MFX1 - I think is the hi horn? Uses the old 22-A 1" driver - needs the Peavey horn x-over or pad w/ cd horn eq to sound passable. At least this driver could be replaced with modern comparable if needed.

All in all it MIGHT be a fun thing to use if it's all good condition (a BIG if) - and you have room for it - and you like moving refrigerators :D .

You could easily power it all with an old school cs800/cs400 combo using the "can" x-overs plugged into the back of the amps and sound decent. If you have a DSP speaker controller and know how to measure the speakers you could get it sounding fairly impressive - minus the deep bass folks are used to today.

That's what I remember anyways - have fun!

seprowling

Post by seprowling » Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 pm

My first foray into running sound was with these cabinets. The mid is a 12inch speaker, the bottoms are 2 X 15 and then the horns that had the original 22 driver. I think you can upgrade the horn with any of the newer 22 drivers that Peavey introduced after these cabinets were produced.

If you need replacement drivers or rebuild kits the link I am posting list what replacements Peavey has available and what can be used for obsolete components.

http://www.peavey.com/support/spkrcompo ... _comps.pdf

I remember the system I ran had 2 CS800's with the crossover cans and one CS400. This system rocked back in the day and if it is in good repair today would give a respectable performance ran properly. Very important. You cannot reproduce below about 80hz with this set trying to do so will quickly result in destroyed speakers. Good Luck!
You can't be old and wise until you have been young and dumb

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled Corporations are people too~~I want to know when we will see one executed?.

paul

Post by paul » Sat May 05, 2012 1:30 pm

Low frequentie limit is 60 hz not 80 hz

See atachment for more info
Attachments
PaulFrankenFHset.jpg
PaulFrankenFHset.jpg (481.85 KiB) Viewed 8181 times
project 1(2)[1].pdf
(674.89 KiB) Downloaded 487 times

Dookie

Post by Dookie » Sat May 05, 2012 2:46 pm

ovum.music wrote:hello, i just joined the forum.

there is a peavey project 1 system for sale in my local kijiji . I don't know much about these systems and I haven't found very much information through google. I would like to know the wattage, there value, sound quality and if there suitable for playing modern electronica music at medium sized gigs, or if there is another option that would suit me more appropriately.

here is the ad :

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z376882097

btw i currently have a peavey cs800s and can purchase another amp if needed/ suggested.

:mrgreen:
Which system is being sold? The one with the FH2 subs and open back single 12 midrange or the Pictured MB-2 / FH1 subs? The FH-1 subs a single 15 in a folded horn box. Low freq limit 58hz.

Dookie

tralfaz

Post by tralfaz » Sat May 05, 2012 9:21 pm

paul wrote:Low frequentie limit is 60 hz not 80 hz

See atachment for more info
HORRY SHEET ! :D I would love to have heard that stack with 3 per side FH2s. I would think with that amount of horn mouth area you could have got down to about 45hz. The chest thump must have been just crazy.