p.v 1.3k amp powers up but no sound

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
evertheoptimist

p.v 1.3k amp powers up but no sound

Post by evertheoptimist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi guys i have a peavey 1.3k power amp that i have purchased second hand as a spare or repair it has a fault, it powers up ok but there is no sound when connected,could someone give me any pointers please?

Peter Richter

Re: p.v 1.3k amp powers up but no sound

Post by Peter Richter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 pm

connect the same speakers and input to another one to check your setup
Peter Richter
Brisbane Audio Services - Sound and Lighting for Any Event
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.brisbaneaudioservices.com.au

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:33 pm

ok will try it thanks

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:01 pm

Do the power or DDT leds light up ?
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am

yes the fans spin and it all lights up but no sound could it be the gain pots?

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm

ok guys i have now had time to investigate further and have noticed that the mains filter caps need replacing and the drive board for chan-a is looking pretty fried,several components are burned out including one of the ic's several resistors some capacitors and other small components.If possible has anybody got any spares for this amp i could do with a new drive board for chanel A if anybody has one please.Also upon looking a bit deeper i noticed that on the output stage a ceramic resistor is blown in half along its length as is a small resistor next to it.could any body shed some light on what might have happened here looks like when she blew she did it in style with a lot of magic smoke.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:20 pm

When resistors burn up or shatter, you can count on the fact that something did that to them. Usually that will be a failed semiconductor somewhere. In other words, that channel is probably blown.

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 am

Hi Enzo yes the two of the mains filter caps are shot, without schematics for this amp id guess each channel has a pair of them? Do you know if amps made for the us markets drive boards have a different operating voltage to those built for the uk market? only i spotted a driver board for sale on a us site and wondered if i bought it i could just swap them out? the rest of the parts i can test and swap for new once i have the schematics and part numbers etc,I will contact peavey monday for the schematics.I need a whole new driver board as the one in the amp has almost burned a hole through the pcb and i feel this may not be reliable once repaired.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 am

I am unaware of any differences between USA amps and UK amps other than the mains wiring and power transformer on the primary side. I would expect everything on the secondary side to be the same. But one can never assume...

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:29 pm

how frustrating i have found a brand new pv-1.3k drive board for chan a on usa ebay and the guy will not ship to the uk and will not respond to uk emails.Its exactly the part i need but its out of my reach :cry: and only 29 bucks or 18 british pounds what a bummer

cummins-diesel

Post by cummins-diesel » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 am

I need a Peavey PV 1.3K Drive Board A, is there anywhere i can get a new board, i had it repaired and they messed it up so bad it can't be fixed and they will not replace it can anyone help.

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 pm

hi guys not been on here for ages been ultra busy with work etc.. still in the process of repairing this back breaker i have removed the output stage from the amp to clean and test the beast.Upon doing so noticed that nearly every nut on every transistor was loose could this be what has caused the failing of this amp? will start to test the transistors 1 by 1 over the weekend and will keep you posted
regards e t o

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:12 pm

tested the transistors 1 by 1 today and found 5 failed ones so have ordered the generic ones to replace them with as these are way cheaper have also ordered two new mains filter caps also from cpc two triacs from ebay, only trouble is i cannot source the ceramic power resistors 1R-5w-5% except for from peavey but wanted to get them from web to save a few bucks can anybody share a link?
regards E.T.O

evertheoptimist

Post by evertheoptimist » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:18 pm

best bet mate is ebay look for blown amps and salvage what you can sometimes you are very lucky and find a board on there

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:49 pm

When you have power transistors go bad, but not all, some that seem to test good may have partial punch-thru of the minority carriers within the boundries of substrate. Best to replace all devices.,