Vypyr Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
pvampmgr

Re: Vypyr Pro

Post by pvampmgr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:58 am

j_fury68 wrote:
homerlex wrote:
redhanded wrote: Would love to get it to sound like it does at the 2 minute mark of this demo. https://youtu.be/ZTL-MMp8owo
I agree - I'm thinking he's got the AT-200 doing something to get that sound :-(
I had an AT-200 for a while but got rid of it. Didn't think getting a Vypyr Pro was a possibility for me at the time. Micheal Smith could probably clear this up for you guys very easily, but I'm confident the the 12 string sound you hear is the guitar. In the video it shows the model bays briefly after he plays the twelve string stuff and I didn't see the 12 string instrument model. He may have changed patches and I didn't notice, but think it was the guitar. After having one I'm still not sure I'll get another AT-200. Cleans, bass, moderately distorted tones where all good, but you gotta use the regular pickups if you like high gain because you can really notice the piazo pickups adding to the Tone. And to be honest I modded that guitar and used magnet pickups instead of piazo which helped, but still not great.

Yes, that was the AT-200 making the 12 string. Being that the VPro doesn't have a hex pickup input, some of the instrument models are better than others. Some are really just included for writing inspiration but can be used as a cool effect as well. I probably wouldn't suggest using the 12 string model in the amp for the intro to Hotel Cali. :)
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:00 am

I've been on the road most of the year so I actually have been quite out of pocket here at times. I just wanted to let you all know there will be a rash of Vypyr Pro/Sanpera Pro reviews forthcoming. Louis, The Tone King, just posted 2 really good videos this weekend and there are several magazine reviews coming soon.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:49 pm

Sweetwater just put this one up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xDxdOFMWAU
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute
2015 Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Pro w/ Sanpera Pro
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:19 am

I finally had time to watch the above 3 videos, and I thought I'd toss my $0.02 into the proverbial pot...

First, The Tone King's 10 reasons video. To me, it just seemed...lacking. I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought there'd me more to it. And while it's definitely Pro-Peavey, I'm sorry, but "because it's Peavey" for reason #10 is lame as hell. That kind of thing can be used by anyone, for just about any product. I almost didn't watch his second video because of the way he ended that one. The V-Pro has more than enough features for anyone to easily list 10 things they like about it, specific to itself. It just seems like a cop out to end the video like that.

The outdoor demo was different...almost all other demos are indoors, usually in a studio of some kind, so that was an interesting take on it. Too bad the audio for what he was saying was so weak. And, unfortunately, he fell into a similar "trap" that they did at Sweetwater (more on that in a bit). On the plus side, given how weak the audio was on the vocals, the amp definitely came through with some nice sounds at that volume.

The Sweetwater demo kinda let me down. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like the whole thing was rushed...like he wanted to get it over with so he could go catch a hot date or something. I'm HOPING that they'll do a more in-depth review in the future.

Now, the one thing I really didn't like about both demos was that they seemed primarily focused on demoing the TransTube Distortion, and how it sounded on various amp models. Granted, with each new amp it's used on, it gets better and better, and I love how the V-Pro sounds, BUT, this amp also has a LOT of other very cool tones, from Fender cleans to haunting choruses, to everything else imaginable. In short, neither of these demos properly shows the true range of the V-Pro...at least in my opinion.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the videos. I'm looking forward to more, hopefully a little more diverse, and detailed, reviews/demos in the future. :)
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

JU5T1C3

Post by JU5T1C3 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:30 pm

pvampmgr wrote:Now that the Vypyr Pro is shipping, I'd like to open up a forum for comments and experiences. So far, I've seen one very positive review on TGP, also from someone that was so over the wait and somehow got banned from here (not sure how). In any event, let's discuss the Vypyr Pro.
Is there any particular reason why the Vypyr Pro does not have the K-Stein amp preset?

Also what are the chances that it would it be added via future update??

pol2711

Post by pol2711 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi Guys,

Got my Vypyr pro in today. Tried to update the firmware but that is a nogo for me and my iMac.
Followed the instructions and somewere I have to choose MIDI IN but I don't see that option.
Have a USB MIDI connected to my iMac.
Can someone tell me the difference between the latest firmware and the one I have got (1.32)?

Thank you!

pol2711

Post by pol2711 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 am

Managed to do the update, so no issue here anymore.

Need to say that I'm very happy with this amp.
Dialed in a crunch sound in no time which I was looking for in a looooong time.
Coming from the POD HD500X and after that the Helix I'm finally satisfied. Almost, my clean tone is still not there. I know it's in there.... :D

Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock » Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 am

Came across a new video today, although it's not much more than just reading the specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIdnyurleus
- Warlock/LHW/Rich

Guitars
2016 Peavey AT-200
1964 Goya F-27

Amps
Marshall AS100D & MG10cd
VOX Valvetronix VT80+

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a spoiled studio guitarist (and an occasional gigging one) that leans toward clean or lightly overdriven tones (think Walter Becker, John Scofield, even SRV) but sometimes also needs access to very saturated crunchy ones.

I see that the focus of this amp are primarily heavy rock and metal tones, so I'd be really appreciative if someone posted a link to a video (or audio only) in-depth review of cleaner tones, using predominantly single coil equipped guitars, like strats, teles, P90 camp, even 335.

I have to say that the Michael Smith clean tones using the red AT200 didn't excite me a bit. They lacked character and weight of a real tube amp.
I'd also like to know if there's any emulation of a nylon guitar tone and how good it is.

I own a bunch of guitars of all sorts (more than a dozen, including a Variax Standard in which I put Mojotone Quietcoil PU's and added series PU switching) and several amps, all of which tube ones, modified to the bone.

This latest Peavey modelling amp offers an amazing range of possibilities and I'd buy it in a wink if it nailed the sound I have in my head! With so much effort by everyone at Peavey, why not take the extra step and add some more informative in-depth reviews that would benefit less common guitar players?

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:35 am

pol2711 wrote: Dialed in a crunch sound in no time which I was looking for in a looooong time.
Coming from the POD HD500X and after that the Helix I'm finally satisfied. Almost, my clean tone is still not there. I know it's in there.... :D
That's what's still stopping me from buying it. Let me know when you find your clean tone.

Lacking Talent

Post by Lacking Talent » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Yeah, from various cleans to those elusive/transitional "edge of breakup" tones -- governed by your guitar's volume knob and/or how hard you're hitting the strings -- is where, IMO, the rubber really meets the road on testing the value proposition of a modeling amp. Would love to hear more (or, anything, actually) from Vypyr Pro users that live in that realm at least a good part of their playing time.

pol2711

Post by pol2711 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:25 am

Gurutweak wrote:
pol2711 wrote: Dialed in a crunch sound in no time which I was looking for in a looooong time.
That's what's still stopping me from buying it. Let me know when you find your clean tone.
Found mine: just using the Twin with a little compression and reverb.
Must say I'm using a BBE Sonic Stompbox between my guitar (Variax JTV) and the amp.
Happy with the clean, blues and crunchtones.
a thick lead sound is the last one I need in my search, but that will be no problem.

Buy the amp, you will not be disapointed.
The only thing i do not like is the effectsection: a good chorus, flanger or phasersound is hard to get. Maybe it's me but they are tonesuckers.
another thing is the conncection with my PC/iMac using the editor. Hope they will come soon with an update, now it's horrible. Keep lossing it's connection and have to reconnect with the amp continuously until the connection is lost. Not workable.

But hey, it's the sound....the sound is GOOD. They did a good job!

zepdude

Post by zepdude » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:48 am

I found this VIP 1 vid to help me decide. hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiUplONdqlo

pol2711

Post by pol2711 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUo2kRFfrIg

this is the pro 100
At 7:40 you can hear the twin model clean

Gurutweak

Post by Gurutweak » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:35 am

Nice, thanks everybody!
I played a used Vypyr VIP 2 at the local Guitar Center and even that was quite decent, so I'm sure I'll end up picking up a Pro 100.
Will wait a little bit until they straighten out some software bugs.
Yes, that Rob Math demo helped quite a bit.