Firmware for Vypyr Tube 120

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Kidderman3

Firmware for Vypyr Tube 120

Post by Kidderman3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:32 am

I just got a used Vypyr T120 and am trying to find my way around everything. I'd like to check the current firmware version and if necessary, update it. I've had a look around the forums, but things related to the firmware for this particular amp aren't completely clear to me. I'm new to the world of Peavey amps and I'd be grateful for any advice. I've figured out that I need a USB to MIDI converter cable to do anything to do with firmware updates. (I started out trying to do the update using the USB Out port). I've downloaded the updater and latest firmware version from the Peavey website. When the cable arrives, will one of its plugs fit into the remote switch socket on the back of the amp which connects the Sanpera II ? How will I be able to check which version of the firmware is already installed ? Any help would be appreciated.

dalrymple

Re: Firmware for Vypyr Tube 120

Post by dalrymple » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14 am

Series 1 Vypyrs are touchy things. If the amp works properly, DO NOT MESS WITH THE VERSION INSTALLED. Dont think.

IF it works, Dont fix it. You can brick it easily.

Repeat at least 3 times. YMMV, but not really.
Dalrymple

Roger Crimm

Post by Roger Crimm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Kidderman3 wrote:I just got a used Vypyr T120 and am trying to find my way around everything. I'd like to check the current firmware version and if necessary, update it. I've had a look around the forums, but things related to the firmware for this particular amp aren't completely clear to me. I'm new to the world of Peavey amps and I'd be grateful for any advice. I've figured out that I need a USB to MIDI converter cable to do anything to do with firmware updates. (I started out trying to do the update using the USB Out port). I've downloaded the updater and latest firmware version from the Peavey website. When the cable arrives, will one of its plugs fit into the remote switch socket on the back of the amp which connects the Sanpera II ? How will I be able to check which version of the firmware is already installed ? Any help would be appreciated.
First post in the FAQ:

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2325
Roger Crimm
Service Manager
[email protected]

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies, Guys. Although the amp seems to work fine generally, I've barely scratched the surface and there may well be issues which I'm not yet aware of. There is an issue with the headphone output not killing the speakers. Whether or not that could be due to needing a firmware update, I don't know. I don't believe that the firmware has ever been updated, so I checked according to the instructions in the link provided by Roger. When I hold buttons 1 and 4 during power up, I get a software code 1.1.1 from the first three knobs on the control panel. If the current version of the software is 1.5.9, I'm some way off being up to date. I wish I could take a calculated gamble-it seems that there may be an element of risk-on whether or not to update the firmware. However, I'm divided between staying safe and being as up to date as possible. Tricky.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Classic. See above. You are thinking. Trouble awaits.
Dalrymple

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:18 am

I've put a hold on the thinking for now. It would be foolish to go ahead a) because I haven't yet established if everything works as it should and b) I've already got one faulty Peavey amp (a T60) sitting around doing nothing because of a fault. Creating a second would not be clever.

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:23 am

Ok. I'm thinking again. Midi to USB converter cable arrived today. The more I read about the risks associated with firmware updates, the less I'm inclined to do it, particularly since the amp appears to be OK in general. However, there's a definite issue with the headphone out/aux in facility and the temptation is to try to cure it with a firmware update. The issue is that when I plug headphones into the socket, the headphones don't kill the speakers. There is no sound in the headphones. But here's the crazy thing: The headphones become microphonic. Seriously. When I tap on them, the tapping can be heard through the speaker. When I talk into the earpieces, it's audible through the speakers. Sound from the Aux In socket is very quiet and can only be heard when the Master control is set at zero. The USB seems OK as my PC recognises the Vypyr as an interface. Acting on advice from another forum, I pulled the chassis and did a visual inspection of the small board which services the 'phones and Aux. Nothing appears to be displaced. There are two ribbon cables on the board which appeared to be seated correctly. I swapped the ends over, making sure they were again seated correctly before putting the chassis back in. No improvement. Question is, could this be an issue which is fixable by a firmware update? I've checked the current code by holding 1 and 4 on power up. The indication is that it's version 1.1.1. My limited knowledge tells me that it's more likely to be a hardware issue, but I'm probably way off. I'm wondering if replacing the board might provide a solution. It looks like it's something which I could do myself. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 am

There are well documented issues with phones jack on series 1 vypyrs. They arent firmware related, rather mechanical. Sometimes the jack need repair/replacement.
Dalrymple

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm

The phones line socket issue sounds weird - very weird.
It is as if the socket's functions have been reversed allowing the the phones to behave as a microphone when plugged in.
As strange as it may seem, have you checked to see if the push connector for phones/ line has been connected up 180 degrees out or reversed - I know the sockets do have an indent / protrusion to supposedly prevent this happening but nevertheless it could be forced in opposite ways round and in theory could cause reversed functionality of phones / line sockets.
Check and see - it may be as simple as this, odd as it may seem !

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am

Thx guys. Interesting to hear that there's historical evidence of issues with the headphone facility on series 1 Vypyrs. Lionheart, I get the theory about a reversed connector being a possible cause of the problem. There's only one way in which the ribbon cable connectors can be pushed into the sockets. The connectors have indents midway along them. I've swapped the ends over on the two cables from the board using every possible permutation and making sure that all connectors were seated properly before testing each change. The problem persists. There are other cables (12-pin and 8-pin) in the chassis, however they're too short to enable me to swap them over with the two from the Headphones/Aux board to do a comparison. Is there a test which I could do using a multi-meter to establish exactly which component or components are the source of the problem? Am I being over-simplistic in guessing that replacing the small board with the Headphones/Aux/USB sockets might cure the problem? I don't know if photos can be uploaded to this forum, but I've taken quite a few if it would help anyone to suggest which direction to head in.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:04 pm

The usb board is also the same board for phone and aux connectors. It has two connectors, 8 pin and 12 pin. the 8 pin is for the aux and phones. swapping them over will not change anything sense the pins are wired the same on both side. From the factory the cables are hot glued in the socket. In removing the cable it is possible that the socket pulled off leaving only the pins on the board. The socket can be put back on and it is possible to place it on backward. So you might check to see if the socket is loose enough to be lifted off. If so, reverse and put it back on to see if this works.
You can also play it safe and order a new usb board.
Getting back to the firmware, there was no version 1.11, the first amps shipped with version 1.02, Next was 1.53, 1.59 is the newest (newer than 1.65, 1.66, and 1.70).
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for your reply.The sockets for both cables are, as you say, glued onto the PCB. In removing and putting back the ribbon cables, they weren't loose in any way. I'm awaiting a reply from Peavey spares about whether a replacement PCB for the headphones/aux/USB section may be available. I'll also be doing a continuity test on the pins in the 8-pin ribbon cable socket. Will post the outcome when done.

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:03 pm

Just checked firmware code on the amp again. It's definitely showing three ones. Strange if there was no firmware release with those numbers.

Kidderman3

Post by Kidderman3 » Mon May 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Following a suggestion from a member of another amp forum, I just did a continuity test between the sockets for the 8-pin ribbon cable which goes from the Headphones/Aux board to another board alongside it. Of the eight connections (1-1, 2-2 etc.), beeps were only heard on 2 and 3. No beeps when connecting 1,4,5,6,7 and 8. Although I'm not sure of the significance of those results, it doesn't look good. If I could be sure that a replacement PCB would solve the problem (I'm waiting to hear whether the boards are obtainable as spares), I'd be pretty happy.

rogue777

Post by rogue777 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm a little slow at getting things done sometimes.
I was going to update the firmware in my two Vypyr amps. I even bought the recommended turtle-beach midi cable.
I'm lazy, I just never got around to it. I never felt the need to rush out and upgrade.

So i'm taking dalrymple advice, let it go, leave it alone. I own a Vypyr 75 and the monster T120 model, hardly even used, like brand new. The thought that I could render the amp useless by trying an upgrade makes me ill. Firmware upgrade, No Thank You. Too scared after all the stories on the forum, (have not been here lately).

Thank you dalrymple, I'm leaving it alone and use the initial factory version. I kind of want the update improvements, but I have to ask - What was wrong with the factory firmware. They shipped them like that. Why ruin a great amp that may or may not even be repairable.