XR600B no power

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Danmo

XR600B no power

Post by Danmo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:50 am

Hi,

Was given a Peavey XR600B for free from someone looking to move house. Just wanted rid of it. Lucky me!

I turned it on once and it worked fine except it blew a fuse when I increased the main output no further than 3. It was plugged into and extension coil which should have handled it (2400w). Once I turned up the volume I heard a loud bang and then no power! Replaced the fuse (4a 250v) which blew 2 in a row. Plugged it direct into the mains, now it doesn't blow a fuse but instead I have no power at all. Before I could at least hear a quick hum and then the fuse would go but now, not even that. No noise at all.

Not a professional so wouldn't know where to begin but I've looked inside and everything seems intact and okay, nothing's blown or burnt. Just dusty.

Any ideas? Or know if any places in the UK to repair?

Thanks

Dan

Enzo

Re: XR600B no power

Post by Enzo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:50 pm

ANy competent amp repair shop can handle this, it is not a complex amp.

You most likely have shorted output transistors inthere, one or more. I would start there.

Danmo

Post by Danmo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for a quick reply Enzo!

I went right back to the beginning of the source of power, replaced the fuse in the plug itself (5amp). Now I'm getting power but a quick hum and the 4amp fuse blows.

Think this might be the same problem? I'm gonna check out how to make a lightbulb limiter as I've seen this exact thing posted on another thread. I'll read through that!

If you can summarise on here though that would be most helpful. Id owe you a pint!

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm

OK, the loud hum you get before the fuse blows likely means the amp is making DC voltage to the speaker. I bet if you watch the speaker cones, you will see them move one direction and stay there. Do not do this further, it can destroy the speakers. Disconnect the speakers but monitor the output for DC voltage. DO not connect a speaker until we no longer get DC voltage at the output.

Also it is possible once you disconnect the speaker that the fuses will no longer blow. If there is simply DC on the output, having no load means no current is drawn.

It could be a number of things, but in my experience, these reliable units do certain things when they fail. Sometimes I am surprised, but I go into it expecting to find one or two shorted output transistors.