VIP2 - Increase power?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
vypyrtrails

Re: VIP2 - Increase power?

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 am

wmjones wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:

Ok, I'll ask.. Have you done this to a VIP?? Is this something I could do myself? Parts I'm guessing under 20.00....
Search for post with this title " Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod " You may find the info you need for this mod. This goes back about 2 or 3 years.

Thank you wmjones! Its bit beyond my skill level. If anyone else is interested in it:

https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... s+loop+mod

Heres the loop in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIi-FwwUpE

It sounds really awesome! The loop opens up tonal possibilities, worth getting done!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
wmjones wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:

Ok, I'll ask.. Have you done this to a VIP?? Is this something I could do myself? Parts I'm guessing under 20.00....
Search for post with this title " Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod " You may find the info you need for this mod. This goes back about 2 or 3 years.

Thank you wmjones! Its bit beyond my skill level. If anyone else is interested in it:

It sounds really awesome! The loop opens up tonal possibilities, worth getting done!
Let me know if you want one put in. I'm sure we could work something out :D
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:40 am

Went to rehersal yesterday to play some Metallica and Ozzy, VIP2 couldn't handle the volume...
When cranked, after 10 seconds of playing I noticed a volume reduction, as if the amp was giving up.
Also noticed that Master Volume only increases until 12 o'clock. Above that, there's no volume increase.
My patches are: Fender Clean, 6505 for rythm and 6505 + TS for leads.

So, I have to do the mods or sell the amp :(

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 am

j_fury68 wrote: Let me know if you want one put in. I'm sure we could work something out :D
Thank you for your offer! Much appreciated!

I know I can do the drilling of the inputs for the effects loop, as well as the wiring and soldering of the pots. Not much different than a guitar.
What gets me is working on the board itself. I am not the most proficient at soldering. Mine is like pigeon poop. :lol: I can get it done for pickups, but the board requires a bit more skill.

This mod would sure open up more possibilitys of tone and other effects than what the amp has to offer.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 am

godoy.rafa wrote:Went to rehersal yesterday to play some Metallica and Ozzy, VIP2 couldn't handle the volume...
When cranked, after 10 seconds of playing I noticed a volume reduction, as if the amp was giving up.
Also noticed that Master Volume only increases until 12 o'clock. Above that, there's no volume increase.
My patches are: Fender Clean, 6505 for rythm and 6505 + TS for leads.

So, I have to do the mods or sell the amp :(
I hear this also with my VIP 2 on the distorted tones. The clean channel for me does not seem to be as affected.

When playing the gainer tones, and I stop playing, I can hear the sound unnaturally cut out. I believe there is a noise gate in operation, yet can not control this. Many many moons ago, when I played bass in a band, the guitarist had a 40 watt combo that was more than loud enough. I know 40 watts can be plenty loud, however I agree with gody.rafa, that at a certain point there is no volume increase. Also, the gainer tones lose some of their tightness to the tone itself.

In the effects loop vid at the 4:30 mark, you can hear the difference and improvement in the tone. So I am wondering it must be possible to gain back some volume and tone with this mod. Maybe this mod can over come whats holding this amp back so to speak, especially on the gainer
tones and possible volume shortness ....

To be clear, the mod only won't fix it, but having the ability to run different effects into the amp can.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm

j_fury68 wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:
wmjones wrote:Search for post with this title " Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod " You may find the info you need for this mod. This goes back about 2 or 3 years.

Great work j_fury68 on this effects loop mod, and for taking the time to share in detail what you have done!!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:36 am

vypyrtrails wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:

Great work j_fury68 on this effects loop mod, and for taking the time to share in detail what you have done!!
My pleasure! I made some simplifications to it over time with suggestions from others and my own contemplating of the circuit. That being said, the mod will work just fine as laid out in the PDF.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:24 pm

j_fury68 wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:
j_fury68 wrote: Let me know if you want one put in. I'm sure we could work something out :D

My pleasure! I made some simplifications to it over time with suggestions from others and my own contemplating of the circuit. That being said, the mod will work just fine as laid out in the PDF.

j_fury68, if I may ask.... what exciter did you put in the loop on youtube clip??

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:31 pm

vypyrtrails wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:
vypyrtrails wrote:

j_fury68, if I may ask.... what exciter did you put in the loop on youtube clip??
It is the BBE Sonic maximizer model in the zoom g5. I like it better than the real deal. I have had both. The BBE is a good pedal as well.