VIP or Revalver?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings

VIP or Revalver

Poll ended at Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 pm

VIP
40%
Revalver
60%

Total votes: 5

macdaddy

VIP or Revalver?

Post by macdaddy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:47 pm

So what do you guys thinK? Mostly to practice and learn and just jam with quietly?

Fastwind

Re: VIP or Revalver?

Post by Fastwind » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:06 am

I have them both.
For playing live, the VIP is a no-brainer...
But at home, I use ReValver almost exlusively.
The models (amps, speakers, effects,...) are a lot better on ReValver and you have much, much more options. For recording, there is just no better and easier way to put your guitar in the mix than with ReValver!

The Vypyr is the best modeling amp out there, but with ReValver you can't hear you're using a modeler. It sounds as 'real' as you can get.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:11 am

I definitely go with Revalver at home .Much better low level sound , more cabinet "thump" available at whisper levels. O.K. we all love high volumes that you can "feel" but blue flashing lights and equipment confiscations that go along with that are not funny ! I run my Revalver into two 30W per channel bi-amped monitors with 5 inch woofers and 1 inch dome tweeters .It is incredible the amount of depth and realism that can be achieved in a small room using this sort of amplification. For low level use it wipes the floor with any amp I've ever had and I hate to say it but I could envisage going on stage with a lap-top and D.I.-ing into the P.A. if it were a little more stable and suffered less freezes . The old school wall of Marshalls is these days fast becoming an un-needed pose-tool / sonic comfort-blanket in my opinion for good , convincing sounds. Having said that I think I would feel a little "naked" on stage without my black tower of power behind me !

macdaddy

Post by macdaddy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for your input. I don't own either yet, and have but a limited amount of cash I can put away for gear. I'm leaning towards revalver. Looks like a lot of fun to tweak and mess around with too. I hear ya about feeling naked with out the usual gear. For me it's the pedals. I'm so used to my tuner, channels, looper and distortion. I'm looking into midi right now. Looks like I can get a pedal to switch channels, effects, wah, vol. ect, but it's a bit confusing due to my lack of knowledge and experience. The one thing I can see that the vip has going for it in terms of versatility is the virtual instrument sims. i.e. acoustic guitar, Bass ect. Makes me think that revalver 4 will probably have those added.

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am

macdaddy,

it all depends on what you're going to do...

If you're planning to play live with a band or at rehearsals, the VIP 2 or 3 would be exellent choices.

If playing or recording at your home, ReValver is the best you can get.
Do remember that you need an ASIO soundcard to play with ReValver on your computer. If you don't have an ASIO soundcard yet, I could recommend Peavey's X-PORT . It's only about $60, and you get a 'LITE' version of ReValver (Only 2 amps and a couple of effects) for free. You can then upgrade to the full ReValver III.V for only $129.99 (Instead of $199.90 for the full version).

Also, to switch patches, you'll also need a midi-board.
The Sanpera (I or II) works only with the Vypyrs.
The Behringer FCB1010 works for both the Vypyr and ReValver...

dwimmerlaik

Post by dwimmerlaik » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:15 pm

ReValver is the way to go for your application.

That being said, I think the future of modeling amps is the full integration of ReValver and a computer like device such as the Musebox with a screen for user interface into a combo amp or head. It's pure speculation but the reason I believe it very strongly is because of Hartley Peavey saying that very thing in this video from NAMM 2012...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVHV3JGZuSo

A bit after 16:00 comes the relevant quote...

"If you had ReValver and something like that Musebox with a power amp and a speaker you'd have the most incredible modeling amplifier ever and it's like a chameleon you can design your own amp sound and there it is. It looks like an amplifier but it's really a computer and that's where it's all going."

Like others have said here that they would love to take ReValver and all it's functionality to play live gigs but your guitar plugged into a laptop just doesn't have the stage presence or the same capabilities of an actual amplifier. Integration of the two would be the best of all worlds for the professional and very serious amateur guitar player.

PS My signature line is from that same video.
"A lot of people told me I was crazy. In retrospect, they were probably correct." -Hartley Peavey

istlota

Post by istlota » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 pm

I own a VIP 2 and am impatiently waiting for Peavey to release Mac software so I can use it as an audio interface for Ableton Live. While I am waiting, I have a few audio interface questions which I am hoping someone can answer for me:

1) Does the Windows software for the VIP cause its USB ifc to appear as stereo, or only mono?

2) I know from other plugins I have used that many effects [especially delay, chorus, and tremolo] sound much better when recorded in stereo. Do Revalver effects present stereo as well as mono inputs to your DAW?

3) I have had problems installing the Revalver demo software that came on a disc with my VIP 2. Has anyone else experienced problems installing Revalver on a Mac?

Agileman

Post by Agileman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

I have not had any problems installing revalver on my MBP I5 with OS 10.7.5. Using reaper to record, each track has a mono or stereo software option. My 4 core 2.5ghz I5 with 4gb of ram can handle recording 2 tracks at once with revalver and reaper running. CPU load average was about 75% across all four cores. Recording from my Vypyr 75's 1/8th mono headphone out into my 1/4 line/mic in of my firewire presonus 1394 4 channel preamp and firewire 800/400 mini pci card. I have to change the sound preferencs for in and out every time I use them. The output of the presonus preamp goes to my home stereo for monitor amplification.
I am a novice with limited guitar playing skills.

istlota

Post by istlota » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Agileman wrote:I have not had any problems installing revalver on my MBP I5 with OS 10.7.5. Using reaper to record, each track has a mono or stereo software option. My 4 core 2.5ghz I5 with 4gb of ram can handle recording 2 tracks at once with revalver and reaper running. CPU load average was about 75% across all four cores. Recording from my Vypyr 75's 1/8th mono headphone out into my 1/4 line/mic in of my firewire presonus 1394 4 channel preamp and firewire 800/400 mini pci card. I have to change the sound preferencs for in and out every time I use them. The output of the presonus preamp goes to my home stereo for monitor amplification.
I am a novice with limited guitar playing skills.
Thanks for the reply. I have no interest in Reaper since I have used Ableton Live for years and am content with it as my DAW.

I was finally able to get Revalver to work by downloading the demo from Peavey's site. My problem appears to have been with the software that came on a disc with my VIP.

arupVIP1

Post by arupVIP1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 pm

My question is that how do u record via amp.
Is it recorded as a MIDI track or as a Audio Track?
I use Ableton Live.

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm

arupVIP1 wrote:My question is that how do u record via amp.
Is it recorded as a MIDI track or as a Audio Track?
I use Ableton Live.
You can't use Revalver via the amp.
You have to use an external soundcard and put your guitar directly into the instrument input. Then, load ReValver into Ableton and you're good to go to record an audio signal (not midi!).

Alternatively, if you have the VIP amp, you can connect the headphones/line output to the line-in of the soundcard and record audio signal.
But you use either ReValver OR the VIP, not both at the same time.