Vypyr 30 doesn't Pack em out!

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dalrymple

Vypyr 30 doesn't Pack em out!

Post by dalrymple » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:16 am

I have a buddy who likes to play Hendrix style stuff, but more energized(think Zak). He uses a Fender Supersonic 22w normally. I like his playing personally, but it is a bit over the top, full on gain settings and he usually plays first and consistently empties the bar while he is playing. Many come late on purpose to avoid his set, and I know this because they have told me so. Everyone usually migrates and hangs outside till they are done, so much so that last week, his wife was the only one in the bar during his set, myself included. The bartender and others complain about the noise level every week. He's actually been banished a couple of times.

Last night there was a screw up with his gear, and he had to use his practice amp, his Vypyr 30, for the jam. He played his normal set, same tunes, same guys, same volume overall to my ears. One big difference: everyone stayed in the bar while he played, listened to what they were doing, and when they finished, the people applauded the set, a first.

I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'... It was what it was. Didnt empty the room, sounded great, people applauded. I said the same to him I say here.
I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'...
Vypyr 1, Fender 0.
Dalrymple

barber76

Re: Vypyr 30 doesn't Pack em out!

Post by barber76 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am

Maybe it's not an amp, but his playing finally improved to be tolerable? :D

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 am

Not in a week. Same guy, same licks and attack, different amp. It was the only variable.
Truth is stranger than fiction!
Dalrymple

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you for sharing this!

Different crowd of people maybe?

The real question now is....will he stay with the Vypyr 30 :wink:

I often think at times, I as well as other guitarists, tend to over think the gear we choose. This kind of brings this
point home. People don't determine to listen to you based on what gear you use. When did you ever hear anyone
say " I only listen to bands that play Marshalls and play Les Paul guitars". :mrgreen:

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm

No way he sticks with the solid state vypyr. Same crowd that avoids him every week. He will ignore any causality in the response, probably writing it off to something totally unrelated to the punishing tone he regularly coaxes out of the Sonic.

As for overthinking our gear, lol. I worked a club and one night the owner says to me, "Bob, just remember nobody came here to see your amp. They came here to get laid." There you go.
Dalrymple

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

dalrymple wrote:No way he sticks with the solid state vypyr. Same crowd that avoids him every week. He will ignore any causality in the response, probably writing it off to something totally unrelated to the punishing tone he regularly coaxes out of the Sonic.

As for overthinking our gear, lol. I worked a club and one night the owner says to me, "Bob, just remember nobody came here to see your amp. They came here to get laid." There you go.
Dalrymple
OMG that is so funny!! Gotta remember this if I ever have doubts about my gear!

That made my day!! :lol:

Thanks again!

godoy.rafa

Post by godoy.rafa » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

dalrymple wrote:"Bob, just remember nobody came here to see your amp. They came here to get laid." There you go.
Dalrymple
LOL