Triple XXX head-- Effects loop- What did I do wrong ?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
moshpit817

Triple XXX head-- Effects loop- What did I do wrong ?

Post by moshpit817 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:51 pm

My last post had said I did some work on my effects loop section Board One,and I triple checked and then some on my work and it looks as good as new,so today I plugged my reverb pedal into the loop and no reverb,nothing,not even any difference in amps volume etc without the reverb plugged in as I turned the send & return pots up & down,so baffled I took it back apart and checked everything with a high quality DMM/digital multi meter and evrythings checks out ok..I did go through all 364+pages of posts looking at all Triple XXX-JSX-3120 info and writing down info I thought I would need for future reference but didn't see anything like this..basically my amp sounds fine with no unwanted excessive noise or clicking-popping when I move the channel selector switch so what I kinda think might be happening,but of course I am not sure if what I am thinking is anywhere near being right,but here goes..I have read several posts where it says the Triple XXX's effects loop is always on when there isn't a footswitch hooked up,and I didn't order a footswitch yet so really the effects loop should be on and working properly just like it was before I changed out the send & return pots..am I correct to think-hope that when I disconnected Board one/effects loop board from the power tube board that I might have cut a signal or power from the power tube board through the ribbon cable attached to Board One,and re-setted anything and need to hook up a footswitch and kick the effects loop back on before it will work again,even without the footswitch like it was prior to my repairs ? I did post yesterday about accidentally nicking the K5 DPDT Omron relay on Board One with my hot sautering iron and barely melting a corner,but after turning amp on and changing channels manually with the select switch it works like its supposed to with no noise,clicking or popping.. I did get a new relay ordered but won't install it unless someone informs me that it could be causing my effects loop problem now,the amp is working fine except no effects loop now..I am confident that my work I did by replacing the 2 pots didn't harm the amp,and my sautering and cleanup on the pc board looks Grade A,no burned spots and no excessive solder anywhere..just like factory fresh..any info greatly appreciated !! I did check to make sure my reverb pedal and all cables are working properly. also I just though tof this- I did drain the Capacitors and all power so my above statement about dis-connecting a signal,or power is probably way off base ! Help Help Help !

moshpit817

Re: Triple XXX head-- Effects loop- What did I do wrong ?

Post by moshpit817 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Please anybody..did I make a mistake by disconnecting the Board One/effects loop board from the power tube board via the Ribbon cable ? I am wondering if its like a cars battery,as in disconnecting the batterys terminals from the battery and then re-connecting the battery and having to drive the car for a certain amount of miles before the computer resets and recognizes all sensors etc ? I have no sound when I plug any of my effects in the effects loop now after disconnecting the ribbon cable from Board one to the power tube board and replacing the send & return level pots..did doing this cause a break in a signal etc so that without a footswitch plugged into my Triple XXX head I will not have the effects loop on without a footswitch ? or did I mess the pc board up ? I have inspected the pc board and all my sautered joints look better than the original ones,and no burn marks anywhere..all my cables and effects work perfectly through the front of the amp,and I used Deoxit to clean all jacks,.anybody care to share any experiences ? I greatly appreciate any and all info !

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Dude, you totally lost me, but I can say one thing that I've learned from other posts here, and that is;

Those ribbon connectors, like you mentioned, can be real finicky. I would double down on trouble shooting them, first.

Scooterx2

Post by Scooterx2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Did you double check that the ribbon cable is connected correctly? I've boobed up reconnecting them before :oops:
Jesus, Family, Peavey, & Duct tape in that order !:)>

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Scooterx2 wrote:Did you double check that the ribbon cable is connected correctly? I've boobed up reconnecting them before :oops:
I don't know how to hook it up in-correctly..it fits down onto the pc board and its inside the white box lines on the board so not sure..I don't get it,its like my effects loop is off,thats it..only thing I can think of is maybe when I semi-straightened the ribbon cable out when right after moving the board inwards so it would come out of the holes in the rear panel,then up and semi straighted the cable out of the way to make it easier to get to the main tube board connection..maybe when I straightened it out some it cracked something inside the ribbon cable..I have the board and cable out of the chassis right now and I will try to multimeter the connector to the other end to see if it has continuity,if I can even do that,but if it has continuity I don't know what can be wrong with it..all my sauter joints look perfect,just like when I did the screen grid resistors,the amp powers up fine and sounds great..going to try to DMM this cable now.. sucks right now.

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Going to lose lots of sleep over this..this amps effects loop was working and my delay and reverb sounded perfect through it..nice loop here..

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 pm

tele twister wrote:Dude, you totally lost me, but I can say one thing that I've learned from other posts here, and that is;

Those ribbon connectors, like you mentioned, can be real finicky. I would double down on trouble shooting them, first.
Trying to test robbon cable with my dmm now..might have cracked something inside when I semi=straightened the cable trying to make it easier to get to the connector..

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:47 pm

Does your amp have a foot switchable effects loop?
If so, are you using this to activate said effects loop?

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Also, be sure the amp is off, when plugging it's foot switch in, or out, otherwise the amp (relays) could be getting false signals.

BTW, most Peavey amps channel switch should be set to the gainiest channel setting, when using it's foot switch.
Check your operating manual.

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Tomorrow morning I will just un-sauter and remove the new send & return pot(s) that I installed and re-do it again..even though everything looks ok who knows..everything tests out right with my DMM and have checked all ribbon cables on the amp and re-checked the effoects loops board ribbon cable connection many times..so IDK .

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I just read your other post, and re-read the big one above.

I'm not sure, but I think a relay inside the amp, switches the effects loop on and off, after receiving a small signal from the foot switch.
Maybe your effects loop is turned off, right now, and you need the foot switch to turn it on :idea:

In case you don't have it, here's your manual; https://assets.peavey.com/literature/ma ... 304881.pdf

And here is your foot switch; https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/870/117514

Maybe, get the foot switch, before you go any further :wink:
Last edited by tele twister on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 am

tele twister wrote:Does your amp have a foot switchable effects loop?
If so, are you using this to activate said effects loop?
I have a Triple XXX head..from what I have read that the amp when turned on without the footswitch the effects loop is always on.I have looked at pics of the footswitch and it has 1 button that is for effects loop bypass,on or off.My amps effects loop was working prior to me replacing the send and return level pots,then when I put the effects loop pc board back into the amps chassis and plugged the ribbon cable back onto the power tube board and turned my amp back on with my reverb pedal in the loop clicked to ON my loop didn't work,so that's why I am thinking I will need to go ahead and purchase the footswitch to get my effects loop to come back on..so what I am looking for an answer about is-do I need the footswitch to turn my effects loop back on after I removed and replaced my effects loop pc board ? I am not trying to be cheap and not buy a footswitch,I was just going to wait 2-3 more weeks before I bought one,but now if I spend the $70-$90 dollars for a footswitch and I plug it in to my amp and click the loop on will that reset my amps effects loop and make it work again,or did I just spend the $70-$90 for no results ? If the answer is NO to needing a footswitch to click my effects loop back on I would rather use the $70-$90 fixing my amp..seems like either way I need to go ahead and buy a footswitch to answer this question for myself,but that sucks to spend the $$ and have my effects loop not come back on with a new footswitch. :x... as far as the relay on the effects loops pc board in my original post I said I "accidentely touched a corner of the relay with my hot sautering iron and can see copper through the black plastic...I believe that relay is for switching the channels and not sure if I screwed it up with the accidental touching of my hot sautering iron..the channels are switching fine by manually moving the switch on the amps front panel,and there is no noise when switching the channels so maybe I got lucky,maybe not.. I did order a new relay from Peavey parts so I might go ahead and replace it when it gets here by mail to eliminate the possibility of the one on the amp now being defective since me burning it..the amps problem whatever it is has to be an easy fix, I just don't know which route to take.. its either
a) Buy the footswitch and plug it in and switch the effects loop bypass button to ON to see if that's what I need to turn my loop back on since my repair job. or
B) Go ahead an install the new Relay when it arrives here Monday or Tuesday, to replace the one I burned the corner on with my sautering iron and hope this gets my effects loop back on...or
C) Buy footswitch and replace relay and then try to click my amps effects loop back on and Pray For A Miracle !? or
D) Just blow off fixing my effects loop and just play guitar ?

I like to add just a little reverb to moisten up the signal,not to drench it with reverb,and the reverb pedal works the best in the effects loop..and I hate knowing my effects loop isn't working now even though it was working fine before I replaced the 2 effects loop pots.. so that's my dilemma 1 Thanks for all info..

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 am

I would also check the power supply for the relay...some use zener diodes which sometimes fail.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

moshpit817

Post by moshpit817 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm

thunda wrote:I would also check the power supply for the relay...some use zener diodes which sometimes fail.
Ok.I will look for them,but do you know where on the schematic and or their number (s) are ? It's just hard to understand that my amp and effects loop was working but the Send level pots shaft was broken,so all I did was disconnect the Board One/effects loop board,make the pot repair and re-install the loop pc board and now the effects loop isn't working..that's why I am wondering if I have to have the foot switch to turn the loop back on..I know by reading several posts saying the effects loop is always on without the foot switch being connected..this makes no since why a simple repair is made and now no effects loop..by visual and using a digital multi meter the effects loop board all checks out.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:16 pm

I think I'm just now figuring out why it's usually called switch logic :lol:

IMHO, I'd rather have that switch, at my disposal, to tell an amp what to do, than go by what "they say".
With the foot switch connected, the circuit is now complete, and you're in command.
If that doesn't work, well then, I guess you'll have some more trouble shooting to do.

Besides, just being able to switch channels, while playing, comes in awfully handy too :wink: