Vypyr 30 or guitar/other problem?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Acrofil

Vypyr 30 or guitar/other problem?

Post by Acrofil » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Hello to all.
Just got a few days ago used vypyr 30w for a good price. Iam beginer and decided to go with the vypyr, becouse it has alot of options to play with and also sounds good to my ears for the music i would like to play some day. :) Guitar is Epi les paul 100.

Anyway. On clean chanels i dont have any problem, but when i use some heavy distortion iam getting alot of noise and some strange sounds that i cant describe.

On the audio file the first 15 seconds im just taking on and off my hands from the strings and this noise is without plucking anything. And from 15th second starts the fun. :) amp model is 6505 red with stomp/effects bypassed.
Audio sample

Thinking to factory reset it and try also different power outlet. Firmware is 1.55. Also iam using it with standart pc power cable.

Thank you in advance. :)

vypyrtrails

Re: Vypyr 30 or guitar/other problem?

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:50 pm

First, is that a bird chirping in the background?

This may sound simple, is your guitar cord plugged all the way into the guitar input....also is the guitar cord plugged
all the way into the amp input??

I've done this myself a time or to! :oops:

Acrofil

Post by Acrofil » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:59 pm

Yeah, forgot to mention the bird. :)

For the cable, yes i think its all the way. Will check it anyway. But as i said this is only with high distortion and volume. I cant turn the volume more than 4, you just cant stay in the room.
The input jack on the vypyr was a little loose , noticed it yestarday, just tightened it with hands.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:17 pm

That note you play at the 16 and 26 mark...I am expecting AC/DC Hells Bells :!:

Is your Post amp set to high?

It sounds like feed back or a ground issue. Yet you say the clean is ok.

The power cord you are using, is it like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWC148

Sorry I am not much help. Hang in there, I am sure there are others here that can help you. :wink:

Acrofil

Post by Acrofil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:48 am

Only on high gain. Also iam sitting approx 1m from the amp not infront. Cable is 2.5m, tryed different spots at 2.5m still the same. :)
The cable is cheap, but its new one.

The power cord is standart pc power cord, except is Eu plug. The original cord that came in was Uk plug, dunno if its the original, but it feels very massive and it says on it "fused" or something.
Also ive noticed that when i plug my cord (eu plug) in the back it stays little loose, like its somehow larger and is moving up and down if i touch it. Its not fiting tight.

If its ground issue isnt going to affect cleans also?

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am

Acrofil wrote:Only on high gain. Also iam sitting approx 1m from the amp not infront. Cable is 2.5m, tryed different spots at 2.5m still the same. :)
The cable is cheap, but its new one.

The power cord is standart pc power cord, except is Eu plug. The original cord that came in was Uk plug, dunno if its the original, but it feels very massive and it says on it "fused" or something.
Also ive noticed that when i plug my cord (eu plug) in the back it stays little loose, like its somehow larger and is moving up and down if i touch it. Its not fiting tight.

If its ground issue isnt going to affect cleans also?
Does your power cord look like this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PWC148

I think it would be more noticeable on your high gain settings. It could be the amp or the guitar. If the guitar is not grounded properly it has
an effect similar to what you are experiencing. Do you have another guitar you can try?

The amp itself just may have dirty pots or input jacks that may need cleaning, its hard to say not being in the same room with it.

Your best bet would be, to take your amp it to a qualified amp tech where you live, to take a look at it. :wink:
Then you will know for sure.

Acrofil

Post by Acrofil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 am

Power cord
Looks like this i think they call them schuko plugs.
No idea what gauge is and as i said where it connect in the back of the amp, the connection its loose fit i can move easy the cord up and down. Thinking to try with the original cable + adaptor.

And i dont have another guitar to test nor amp. I had other smaller amp for awhile, but never turned the volume much so i cant recall if there was a problem.
Will see if i can borrow something to test.

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Here is a link to a thread in the Marshall forum:
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/st ... st-1629713

This guy is having noise issues too. Maybe you can pick something up from that thread to help you
with your situation.

Acrofil

Post by Acrofil » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:24 am

Turning the post gain down and uping master volume solves the problem. Almost no noise.
Now iam wondering - Is there problem at all..

vypyrtrails

Post by vypyrtrails » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 am

Acrofil wrote:Turning the post gain down and uping master volume solves the problem. Almost no noise.
Now iam wondering - Is there problem at all..
Glad to hear you might not have a problem after all!

Yea, thats how I run mine, especially for the overdriven tones. The pre is to add the amount of overdrive you want, so that can be
dimed if desired. The post then has to be adjusted accordingly. It won't sound good if you dime both pre and post.

You could also back the pre to 50% and add a overdrive to get you the rest of the way. That can cut some pre noise too.

If my pre is dimed, my post is set at 9 a clock, then turn master volume up to taste. The louder you go with the mv, you might want to re-adjust
your mids and treble. You will need a bit less at higher volumes. Also maybe dialing back the reverb will help. Reverb can accentuate the good
and not so desirable aspects of your tone.

Hope this helps you in your tone quest.