Sanpera 2 communication problems with Vypyr 60

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
gibby345

Sanpera 2 communication problems with Vypyr 60

Post by gibby345 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:13 am

Hi, I have a Vypyr 60 tube and a sanpera 2 footcontroller. Has only been lightly used in the last 8 or 9 years but recently got back into band and now having some problems. Amp is running beautifully - everything functioning, can access presets and edit sounds directly on the amp face. Plug in Sanpera 2 - at home runs perfectly, I can run the amp for hours and hours with no problems at all. Take the rig to band practice or gig - the sanpera may or may not work. Usually it works for a while ( couple of hours) then starts playing up - the display fades out or gives strange channel readings, various lights on switches come and and off, cannot change banks or presets - in other words the Sanpera is not functioning and not talking to amp. Last gig I played at on NYE - turned amp on and instantly the sanpera pedal was not working. I am at wits end trying to sort this problem. New singer is using a wireless mic ( new sennheiser) -maybe some kind of interference from the wireless mic/ receiver? The only place I play without the wireless mic in close vicinity is at home!? I do also set up my full rig at home - same as practice or gig , running the Vypyr 60 along with a Boss Katana 50 , using Radial engineering ABY box to switch between amps or use both at once. Also using a TC electronics mini spark across both amps and a roland footswitch on the Boss. This rig sounds pretty good when the peavey / sanpera 2 combination is working. Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing the sanpera to play up like this? I really like the Vypyr as an amp and can pull a great range of excellent sounds using the sanpera so I am persevering with trying to get to the bottom of this. Thanks

JamesPaul

Re: Sanpera 2 communication problems with Vypyr 60

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!

If this issue correlates with the new singer's wireless mic, have the new singer use a cable for the first set and see if the Vypyr is fine. Or have the singer bring the wireless mic over to your place and see if the Vypyr has the same issue.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

gibby345

Post by gibby345 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks James - have tried this at practice . Got singer to use normal wired mic -no problems after a couple of hours. Changed to wireless mic , within a few songs the sanpera went ape again. Went back to wired mic , but couldn't get the sanpera to work properly again. Anyone who has gigged with this amp & sanpera knows you cannot play live if the footcontroller does not work, unless you are capable of manually changing channels/presets in literally nanoseconds! Amp works fine if used just as an amp and use normal out board stomp boxes etc however that option will require a substantial spend on effects pedals, power supply , case etc. Next practice tomorrow, see what transpires. Does anyone know of any cheap and quick ways of shielding the amp and footcontroller - some kind of movable metal screen?

Vurrich

Post by Vurrich » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm

My Sanpera II pedals seem be goofy too.
I used wireless guitar for a while.

But I had lost my cord and replaced with non-Peavey 8 din cord.
Not sure what the problem is.

Please keep me posted on your issue.
Solved?

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 pm

gibby345 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 pm
Thanks James - have tried this at practice . Got singer to use normal wired mic -no problems after a couple of hours. Changed to wireless mic , within a few songs the sanpera went ape again. Went back to wired mic , but couldn't get the sanpera to work properly again. Anyone who has gigged with this amp & sanpera knows you cannot play live if the footcontroller does not work, unless you are capable of manually changing channels/presets in literally nanoseconds! Amp works fine if used just as an amp and use normal out board stomp boxes etc however that option will require a substantial spend on effects pedals, power supply , case etc. Next practice tomorrow, see what transpires. Does anyone know of any cheap and quick ways of shielding the amp and footcontroller - some kind of movable metal screen?
It is probably not cheap or quick for the amp and Sanpera, but the shielding you are thinking of is called a Faraday Cage.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

gibby345

Post by gibby345 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 am

I seem to have solved the problem - borrowed a Sanpera 1 and cable from a friend and used his cable on my sanpera 2 . Have had no problems since. His cable is relatively new and pretty short compared to mine. Have done a gig and a number of practice sessions without problems. Maybe a new cable would solve this issue for other people also.

Vurrich

Post by Vurrich » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:26 am

I dont understand how wifi would effect Sanpera II pedals
Is there any way to get answers from Peavey Techs?

Has the OP got a fix for his problem?
Last edited by Vurrich on Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:42 am

It is likely more about the amp. There is not a of "intelligence/logic" ??? in the Sanperas. The Sanperas are just optimized to work the amp's features.
James Paul's Peaveys

Vurrich

Post by Vurrich » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:05 pm

So something probably went out in my amp because of wireless system?

I was using wireless Guitar system

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 pm

The Sanpera is a pre programed controller that contains all the control codes (CC's) needed to work with your Amp. It's an addition to the amps DSP board. The ROM chip (eprom) in the sanpera could be faulty. Or The MIDI board in your amp could be faulty. Also check your midi cable for continuity with a mulitimeter. Being new does not always mean good.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 am

Dont avoid the obvious while seeking a "solution". Dont overthink it. It was the cable. Usually is. I've had 5 over the years.
Dalrymple