HELP! Peavey Foundation Bass SERIAL NUMBER(Picture included)

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
joyjerry521

HELP! Peavey Foundation Bass SERIAL NUMBER(Picture included)

Post by joyjerry521 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi all!

I got my Peavey Foundation Bass yesterday from a private owner. Claiming to have owned the bass for 9 years, the guy sold it to me at $130 with a hardshell case. It is in decent condition with minor, acceptable dints+scratches on the body and rusts on the bridge that tells its age. Good deal?

Now, I can't wait to figure out the exact year of make of this bass guitar. The serial number is 10777704. Yes, it starts with 10, although I have no clue why so. The customer service emailed me back that they couldn't figure it out, either. I began to worry, but I am also pretty sure that it is a genuine Foundation after reading countless threads and comparing numerous pictures out there online.

On the headstock it says" Crafted in the USA". Is it equivalent to "Made in the USA"? Wikipedia says yes, and I still want to hear what you guys would say.

Lastly, I have trouble tightening the knobs. They are hard-to-take-off set screw knobs. I need to take them out in order to tighten it. Any ideas?
Last edited by joyjerry521 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frank N. Peavey

Re: HELP!!! Peavey Foundation Bass DATING

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 am

I'm stumped. The serial number should start with a zero.

Crafted in the USA is the same as Made in the USA. That being on the headstock does give a clue to year span of the instrument. Is the Peavey logo the classic one or the block letters?
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

joyjerry521

Re: HELP!!! Peavey Foundation Bass DATING

Post by joyjerry521 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 am

Frank N. Peavey wrote:I'm stumped. The serial number should start with a zero.

Crafted in the USA is the same as Made in the USA. That being on the headstock does give a clue to year span of the instrument. Is the Peavey logo the classic one or the block letters?
I would say mine is a late 90's - early 00"s Peavey. What do yo think? BTW, any suggestions on how to tighten the knobs?
Attachments
serial number
serial number
Boston-20110408-00026.jpg (176.36 KiB) Viewed 13993 times
Headstock where "Crafted in the USA" is shown.
Headstock where "Crafted in the USA" is shown.
Boston-20110408-00025.jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 13993 times

Classic30inCincy

Re: HELP! Peavey Foundation Bass SERIAL NUMBER(Picture inclu

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 am

Photo's would suggest using a large straight blade screwdriver top and a Phillips Head bottom to tighten assembly.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:41 am

I'm not totally sure how long the block lettered logo was used, but it was around that time frame for sure.

If the actual tuning key is loose I don't know how one would tighten it. If the gear is loose I would try tightening the screws that hold the housing to the headstock.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

joyjerry521

Post by joyjerry521 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 am

Frank N. Peavey wrote:I'm not totally sure how long the block lettered logo was used, but it was around that time frame for sure.

If the actual tuning key is loose I don't know how one would tighten it. If the gear is loose I would try tightening the screws that hold the housing to the headstock.
Are you suggesting that mine has the block lettered logo, which indicates that it was produced around my estimate of late 90's to early 00's?

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 am

Yes.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

RandyMolson

Post by RandyMolson » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:56 am

Yes, you got a great deal on your foundation with HSC.

I wonder if there was a production error when they stamped that SN at the factory, where the worker accidentally set the first digit to "1" rather than "0". Based on Wiki, the 1995 SNs started with 0770xxxx. Seeing that your headstock logo falls into the 1995 range, it may be that SN was supposed to be 0777xxxx. That's my gut feeling.

You might check to see if there are date codes on your pots that you can cross-reference to a production date.

Regarding the tuners, I am not sure what you are trying to adjust. Most of the mechanism is exposed on the back of the headstock, so you can lube the gear and shafts without disassembling. I have the exact same tuners on my 94 fury and they turn like butter. There should be no reason to "tighten" the tuner mechanism unless somebody has been messing with them. The tuners will be very loose and rattle without string tension - that is normal - once you get them up to full string tension, they are solid.