90´s vs 00´s Bandit 112

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
lanuspr

90´s vs 00´s Bandit 112

Post by lanuspr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi, sorry but my english its not good.

I want to buy a Peavey Bandit 122 because as i could saw in youtube reviews its a good tube simulator amp, perfect as to be my second amp for playing in places where i don´t want to carry my big and heavy tube amp and the pedalboard, 2x12 cabs, etc.

The Question is, wich one do you recommend or at least tell me the pros and cons about you experience or knowledge ?

90´s Peavey Bandit 112 100w - Made In Usa whith Peavey Sheffield
00´s Peavey Bandit 112 80w - Made in China with Marvel Blue

Have thei very different tones ?

I want a transtube amp to play from blues to hard rock; vintage sound specially but it would be good to have a hi gain alternative.

I´m also thinking the chanse to put it a Celestion V30, its that a good idea or not necessary?

Thanks for your time

Classic30inCincy

Re: 90´s vs 00´s Bandit 112

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Look For.......

90's Era ------> BlackFace / SilverStripe TransTube [Made in USA & Equipped w/Sheffield 1230 speaker]

Early 2000 -------> Red Stripe TransTube [Made in USA & Equipped w/Sheffield 1230 speaker]

BOTH = Excellent Buys On Used Amp Market

Stay with the Made in USA Sheffield 1230 Speaker

Save Money Versus Changing To "Lesser" Speaker !

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

lanuspr

Post by lanuspr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and information.

I realize that i was confused about the years. Here where i live (Argentina) y can get these 2 used amps that are being sold everywhere:

China Red Stripe TransTube with i dont know which speaker

China Transtube Peavy (last model) with Marvel Blue

And there is only one like this in one online page of used things:

USA Red Stripe TransTube Sheffield 1230 speaker

They are similar price.

Wich one is better ?

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 pm

My #1 Choice........Red Stripe in last photo

Made In USA Red Stripe TransTube Bandit equipped with Made in USA Sheffield 1230 speaker

Personally own and play Made In USA Red Stripe along with.......

Matching Red Stripe 112SX (Sheffield 1230 speaker) extension cabinet

Made In China Red Stripe has Made in China Blue Marvel speaker (of unknown origin :oops: )

Blue Marvel Speakers in USA Manufactured Classic Series Amps.......

Manufactured for Peavey to Peavey Spec's by Eminence Speaker Company

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:48 am

I'm going to agree with Cincy.The last photo.Redstripe designed and made in USA . But to be quite honest you really can't go wrong with any of the transtube Bandits. They all sound very close to a nice tube amp. :D

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:23 pm

lanuspr wrote:Thanks for the quick reply and information.

I realize that i was confused about the years. Here where i live (Argentina) y can get these 2 used amps that are being sold everywhere:

China Red Stripe TransTube with i dont know which speaker

China Transtube Peavy (last model) with Marvel Blue

And there is only one like this in one online page of used things:

USA Red Stripe TransTube Sheffield 1230 speaker

They are similar price.

Wich one is better ?
I'd grab the bottom one (American-made Red Line Bandit)...never owned either of the other two, but question the quality control in China, while I know the QC in Meridian is 2nd to none!

You won't be sorry! 8)

markleehunter

Post by markleehunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:26 am

lanuspr wrote: I´m also thinking the chanse to put it a Celestion V30, its that a good idea or not necessary?
It's a good idea IMHO. I replaced the Blue Marvel in my Studio Pro 112 (red stripe) with a Celestion 70/80, and the low end got a lot richer.
"The slide is my ride."
Peavey Gear: Red Stripe Studio Pro 112 (with Bugera Vintage speaker), Valveking Royal 8 (with Celestion Tube 10), Bandit 75 (with Jensen Mod 12/70), Dirty Dog.

therealjoeblow

Post by therealjoeblow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:43 am

I know this thread is a 1-1/2 years old, but I have to jump in here to try and dispel some myths that are constantly propagated on board after board by people offering advice and qualifying it with statements like "never owned either of the other two, but question the quality control in China"...

I have one of each of the Bandit 112 RedStripes that were in the original question, one of the Made in USA, and one of the Made in China, the MIC one is identical to the one in the photo at the top of the thread, with the unlabelled speaker. I have had both of these for several years, so offer a true A/B comparison with my opinions.

In my opinion, there is NO DIFFERENCE between the MIA and MIC models. People keep saying the following, here are my myth-dispelling opinions on these:

1) Myth: There is a quality difference. IMO, no there isn't, both of these amps have been driven very hard for a very long time, and both perform exactly the same, and neither has ever had a failure. None of the pots on the MIC model crackle or have ever needed cleaning, the fit-and-finish of the MIC is equal to the MIA one, the *only* difference I see is that the power LED on the MIA one leans a bit to the orange side, and the MIC one is a deeper red. Otherwise they are identical in quality, performance, fit-and-finish.

2) Myth: They sound different, the MIC one is inferior. IMO, no, they sound IDENTICAL to me, both clean and dirty, with the same settings. While I'll admit this can be subjective, I have personally tested these blind 3 ways, (a) with the amp sitting on the floor and me standing in front of it - they sound the same (not very good in this configuration btw); (b) with the amp sitting on the floor, but pointed at my face - they both sound the same; (c) through a recorder with a Shure SM-57 mic - they both sound the same. Again, while this is subjective, in none of the configurations I trialed can I detect a significant difference in the sound of either these.

3) Myth: The MIA has a Sheffield 1230, and the MIC has a Blue Marvel. I can confirm that the MIA has the Sheffield 1230, it is factory labelled as such. The MIC's speaker is unlabelled as in the photo at the top of the thread. But IMO, these speakers are identical in every way, so I believe that the MIC speaker (in the Red Stripe version) is an unlabelled Sheffield 1230. I took both speakers out and compared them side by side.

-The stamped metal frames are identical
-The magnet diameters and depths are identical to the mm
-The overall weight of both speakers is the same
-The dust caps are identical both in size and material, and also in shape
-The cones are identical, in contour (checked with a template from one to the other), in ribbing, in material, and in the surround coating
-They sound identical (not very good, either of them, IMO)
-There is no quality difference, driven at full volume, the unlabelled speaker did NOT self destruct, it performs exactly as the Sheffield labelled one does.
-IMO there is no difference in these speakers, I believe they are both Sheffield 1230's, just one is unlabelled.

So as I said, I hope to have dispelled some unjustified myths that seem to be propagated by people who either have never owned one of these amps, or for sure never owned one of each. I have and still do own both, and use them regularly in a stereo configuration, playing mostly 80's hair metal, but also modern alternative rock.

Now, to finish up, on to my own opinion on the sound quality of these amps. The amps are great IMO, the cleans are second to none, very rich, and Fender like, with the stock speakers. The amp's overdrive ability as has been noted by many others is very tube-like despite being solid state. However, I found the stock Sheffield 1230's to be *horrid* for high-gain stuff. No amount of tweaking any of the on-board eq settings or voicing switches would get rid of the shrill, ice-pick harshness in the upper midrange / lower treble. It was even worse on any of the "modern" voicings which scoop the mids and give you that much more trebbly modern-metal tone. The high-end harshness is brutal. It was very unpleasant, to the point that after a few months of struggling with this I stopped using these for high-gain.

Then I stumbled on a video on youtube where another owner (noisezone) had replaced the stock speaker in his MIC model with an Eminence Legend v128. The tone he had was sublime, all of the upper mid-range spike and harshness was gone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFSUBcSLBg

Noisezone does lots of tone testing on various equipment, and publishes his setup info describing the microphone equipment and placement, and I trusted that what I was hearing in his video was a true representation of the the amp would sound like with a speaker upgrade. I did lots of additional searching and comparison of other speakers online, mostly looking for comparisions of either the Sheffield 1230 or the Legend v12's, and eventually decided to give them a try after hearing the V12 compared to may other Celestions and Emi's.

Personally, I could not be happier! My experience is the same as Noisezone's, the V128's have made a 1000x difference in how good the Red Stripe Bandit sounds! The clean channels still rings beautifully for the styles I play (playing with a MusicMan Axis and a Boss Chorus); and high-gain 80's metal tone through these babies sounds awesome now. All of the harshness is gone and it's just pure tone heaven now! At $75CDN each, the Eminence Legend v128's were the best thing I believe I could have done to the Bandits and I am now thinking about possibly selling my 100W Hiwatt as I don't think I'm likely going to use it much anymore.

Hope this helps someone still looking at these Red Stripes. IMO either of them are great and there is no difference in them, but they need a speaker upgrade if you are going to use high-gain settings.

Cheers
The REAL Joe