Still loving my Windsor half stack

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
cliffenstein

Still loving my Windsor half stack

Post by cliffenstein » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:49 pm

I still can not believe the hate these amps get in some quarters on the net.

My first amp was a Marshall Valvestate. From there I graduated to a first year 5150 head played through a Mesa cab. After a decade or so with that amp, I sold it and got a 1979 Marshall JMP 50 watt head and a 1981 Marshall 100 watt cab loaded with Celestion blackbacks. I was in tone heaven.

Less than a year later the head was stolen...what a freaking tragedy. I couldn't afford to get another used JMP, so after talking it over with an amp guy I trust, I picked up a used VTM60 head. That was a very good fit for me. It was ugly but I really liked the tone it delivered. The band wound down about a year later and then my wife and I decided to start our family. Thinking I was permanently out of the rock game, I sold off all my gear. Flash forward a few years, our two boys are in school and I start finding myself getting that rock n roll itch again. I called up the guys and they were up to getting things up and rolling again.

I needed an amp. I did some research and read about the Windsor half stacks, but Peavey had stopped making them due to lack of sales. Seems the kids today aren't much interested in the sounds of yesterday. I looked on Craig's List and found someone in my general area who was looking to offload one. I grabbed my guitar and went to go check it out. Within a minute of testing it out, I closed the deal. $300 for a half stack that sounds like this? How could I say no to that?!!!!

After a year of band practices and quite a few gigs, I can unequivocally state that the Windsor head and matching cab are just all kinds of awesome. It delivers old school Marshall tone with ease. My co-guitarist has a mid 80's JCM 800 2210 model head and a same period 1960a cab. My Windsor EASILY stands toe to toe with his Marshall. The Windsor gives me everything I loved so much about my JMP half stack. I am so glad I gave the Windsor a chance.

Thank you Peavey!!!!!
Last edited by cliffenstein on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Peavey Windsor amp head
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 amp head
Marshall JCM 800 1960a cab
Marshall JCM 800 1960b cab

nickf

Re: Still loving my Windsor half stack

Post by nickf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:19 pm

I totally agree. Have mine for about 3 years now. Throw an OCD or any overdrive in front of to thicken it up a little and BAM hot rodded marshall al la JCM 800.

Delay in the loop = Judas Priest
Chorus in the loop = Maiden seventh son album
Tube Screamer = Early Maiden and early Metallica

and on and on, very versatile amp

Nick F

thrash5150

Post by thrash5150 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:51 am

I bet with a boost and eq these would sound killer for older thrash!

nickf

Post by nickf » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:54 am

agreed, I use a fish and chips in the loop as well as the eq on the G3 that's in my loop.

Yup, with the right boost perfect thrash machine

Nick F

MarkMarshallGuitar

Post by MarkMarshallGuitar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 am

Similar circumstances for me here, had my old Marshall stolen and was 'forced' to start using my backup Windsor head. I run a Rockmaster thru it like I did with the old Marshall and love the combination, gig with regularly.

I think a big part of the reason that the Windsor didn't catch on - and this could be said about other Peavey Products IMHO - was a very uninspired athestics and a very bland name that sounds more like a cutlery pattern than an amp. The appearance and product name of an amp are a huge part of getting players interested in it enough to check it out. A name and package need to be some combination of catchy, cool sounding, sexy...something with a little sizzle. Your customer wants to sound and look cool when he shows off or mentions his new amp, you gotta take that X factor into account. The Windsor is really unexciting to look at and the name seems desperately British when it needn't have been. Users still would have "got' what Peavey was trying to do without giving it that name. I'm not saying I could come up with something better, but I sure think it'd have gotten more traction if it wasn't so blah in name and form, especially at that price.

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 am

I don't mind the name and as far as the aesthetics, it's probably the nicest looking amp Peavey has ever made. It's certainly their most Marshallesque in appearance.
Peavey Windsor amp head

nickf

Post by nickf » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Maybe the other factor is that it's only a single channel amp. It can do semi-clean if needed but its not an easy task and can not be done on the fly like a 2 channel amp. Unless you find a pedal that you really like and set the peavey up for clean and use the pedal for all your distortion needs then your stuck with crunch and lead only.

Swapping pre amp tubes out for something less hot will help.

On the looks, I love it clean a classy, no frills and the loop is on the front.

Nick F

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:42 pm

Yea it's definitely a one-trick pony, but that one trick is VERY well done. I always keep my eyes open for one going cheap-ish.

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Marshall has a lot of single channel amps. My JMP was a single channel and it suited my purposes wonderfully well, as does the Windsor.
Peavey Windsor amp head

nickf

Post by nickf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:26 pm

Cliffenstien:

Don't get me wrong i love my Windsor, just talking out loud as to why others don like it

Nick F

elmoscafeo

Post by elmoscafeo » Wed May 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Is it too late to chime in?

I'm still using my Windsor head also. Though not as often as I used to. As Scott previously mentioned, it's a one trick pony but my musical taste are varied (and old) and there are times where I'd like to play some Shocking Blue or The Animals through the Windsor. I decided to do some snipping on it today and I like the results.

Since many people claim it to be a "Hot Rodded JCM800", I took a look a some JCM 800 schematics. The Windsor closely resembles the 2203 JCM800 Master Volume Lead 100W head found here... http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2203prem.gif

I changed R4 to 10K, removed C5 and C28. It's more than a one trick pony now. Clean sounding with the Preamp Volume up to 5. 5 to 9 gets dirty and over 9 is smooth distortion. Master Volume works great throughout the whole range. Preamp Volume turned all the way up and Master Volume backed off still has useable gain for old school metal. Preamp tubes are 12AX7 (Tungsol in V1, Tungsol in V2, JJ in V3). Guitars used for testing were Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer, Epiphone ES-339 Pro with humbuckers selected, Fender Modern Player Marauder (Neck Jazz Master, Bridge Triplebucker).

There is a detectable loss in overall volume, but for me....I thought the Windsor head was too loud anyway. I have a Blackstar HT-Boost in the effects loop that supplies enough of a volume boost if I need it but so far, I haven't needed it. I stayed with the stock 39K Cold Clipper that Peavey uses. I may actually reduce the value and see if I can get some volume increase but it's not really essential for me since the Blackstar HT-Boost (if needed) is like running a warm stage after the Cold Clipper anyway.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Wed May 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Staaahhhp! You're gonna make me buy one!!! jk, excellent post man.

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Update to this old thread. Sold the Windsor cab and got a Marshall 1982a cab loaded with G12H-100 and V30 speakers in an x-pattern. The Windsor sounds freaking unbelievable through this cab!!!!
Peavey Windsor amp head

cliffenstein

Post by cliffenstein » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:21 pm

I don't mind the name and I think it's one of the better looking amp heads Peavey has ever made, BUT...it would have been much better served had they put it in a box that was a mirror image of a late 70's JMP. I plan on replacing the headbox accordingly this next year.

Then again...look at how the VTM heads are being viewed these days. They're selling for $500-$800 now on the used market and they're the ugliest amp heads Peavey has ever made.
Peavey Windsor amp head