Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 recording. Can somebody help me?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
domi_57

Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 recording. Can somebody help me?

Post by domi_57 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 pm

Okay so I've got this VIP 3 and I've seen Usb port which I haven't seen on any other amplifiers before. I've plugged a cable and connected it to the computer and everything seemed just fine. I've tried to record something with Cubase 5 and latency is huge. Really huge like a second or more. So I'd like to know if I needed a better sound card for my computer or I needed another software. Thanks! Oh and by the way, this amplifier is one of the best if yoou ask me! :D

gcolbert

Re: Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 recording. Can somebody help me?

Post by gcolbert » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:05 pm

You aren't going to like my answer and I'm sure there are a few who will disagree with me but = this isn't how you record an electric guitar. Get a proper audio interface USB (with an ASIO driver written specifically for it if you are using Windows and good preamps) and a Sure SM-57.

The latency is coming from your computer sound card. You can spend a year tweaking and fidgeting with your computer to reduce it, but there is no substitute for the right equipment. You can get competent recording interfaces for $100 and the SM-57 is going to set you back another hundred.

You may try feeding your mix into the Vypyr AUX, listen on the Vypyr headphones, and record into a track using the USB. This would let you play without having to deal with the latency and you can tweak the timing once you have your track recorded.

Glen

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Internal sound-cards are usualy only good for play-back, not recording. Like Glen says, you need a pro-quality sound-card for good quality recordings.

However, if you can't spend that kind of money, there is a way to lower the latency from your internal sound-card.

Go to http://asio4all.com/ and download the "Asio4all" driver. This driver simulates an ASIO-driver on ANY soundcard.
Fiddle with the settings from the setup menu and see if you can get the latency to about 10 to 15 ms...

Failing that, you can also record like you did, but with the record-monitoring off in Cubase, and plug-in a head-phone into your VIP3. You just listen to your guitar through the headphones while recording. When you play it back later, there will be no latency.

Sparkopath

Post by Sparkopath » Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 pm

The usb recording is not great in my opinion and I have seen many complaints about it on these forums.

I use an Alesis Mulitmix 4 that has USB. I then plug my Vypyr VIP 2 into that from the Headphone Out. Had to buy a 3.5mm to 1/4" conversion cable. I got the mixer for like $40 used at a pawn shop. I listen to all ingoing and out thru headphones (another 3.5mm to 1/4" converter needed) plugged in to the mixer itself. This way I can hear all tracks playing back and what I am playing in at the same time. I tried monitoring thru the computer speakers but latency was insane. This setup works pretty well for me. I have used it with Reaper and Adobe Audition. Never tried Cubase.

I love the sound of a mic'd speaker but it can pick up a lot of background noise in my situation, and it is hard to play back other tracks and still hear them while playing.

Hope this helps. Recording can be a very expensive hobby if you let it.