Why T-40 was never adopted to famous bass players?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey basses.
WildStrat

Why T-40 was never adopted to famous bass players?

Post by WildStrat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:32 am

Here is a question that i feel difficult to answer...
Why this great instrument is not a reference for bass players. I'm tired of watching people on p-bass, j-bass and musicman.
I know T-40 it's heavey, and has only 20 frets, but it has a large amount of very good tones that every bassist would like to have in only a instrument. A T-40 could substitute easily 3 basses on studio and on stage.

What do you think?
Regards.

WebToad

Re: Why T-40 was never adopted to famous bass players?

Post by WebToad » Sun May 03, 2009 11:00 am

This is probably a question of "Image". Guitar players primarily, and Bass players to a lesser extent, tend to be somewhat conservative. Not in the way the average citizen is conservative, but we tend to be "Followers". Somehow, playing a Gibson/Fender/PRS etc. makes me a better player, or makes me sound like my idol, Player XXX. Screwy mental outlook, but like so many players, I had this affliction as a younger man.

The music business has always had a few originals and a bunch of copycats. By the early 1960's, Fenders were "THE" guitars, and sales of Les Pauls fell off so much that they were discontinued. It wasn't until Mr. Shiro Arai (Of Aria) started selling Black Beauty Copies, that Gibson realized the need to put them back into production. (The much touted "lawsuit" was actually between Norlin-Parent Company of Gibson at the time-and Elger/Hoshino-USA Distributor for Ibanez at that time-over headstock shape. Aria, Tokai and other copy makers were affected but not involved.)

Look around...even Gibson realized that they needed copys of their own instruments. With all of the well known Les Paul players out there, they needed guitars to sell that looked like real Les Pauls, but cost less: The highly successful Epiphone LP's! When Gibson took over Epiphone as a budget line in the 1970s, they were not marketing copies. They could have since most of the Japanese Epiphones were made by the same folks that built Aria. Budget-minded copies also account for the Hamer Slammers and the PRS SE series.

When the Peavey Guitars first came out, there was a great ad showing Hartley (in some bitchin' flares) touting the "utility" of his instruments. They had versatility, and solid construction, but only had minimal flash. More image-conscious folks would hunt down beat-to-crap Fenders to gain legitimacy, rather than to play a utilitarian instrument. Remember too, there were no Squiers, Mexican/Japanese/Korean Fenders at that time. At first, I don't know if Hartley actually sought out endorsers, but in the intervening decades, it is easy to see how pro endorsers are used to sell instruments. Back when grunge hit, and Curt Cobain modded his guitar to become the "JagStang", how quickly did Fender actually started making that model?

Back in '78 when Hartley introduced the T60 and T40, Peavey amps had the reputation of being a solid option for most of us. Lots of "snobs" called them cheap, and the stuff you used till you could afford "real" gear. A current coworker who plays bass still says that the biggest thing wrong with my playing is that I chose Peavy instruments.

In 1986, I was learning to play bass on stage with a country band. I started with a lotus thing, and then got a beat-up, split head Gibson EB-3. I thought since it said "Gibson" on it that I would be a more well accepted musician. After about a month of trying, I still couldn't get a decent sound out of it (I got it really cheap-the pickups were not original, and the neck had been reset...poorly). That Gibson was traded for T40 #1.

In 1986, a worn out P-bass still cost at least $300, but I got the T40 for much less, in better condition and had a more versatile sound. It was heavy, a little clunky and had a pretty wide fingerboard. Used it for country, bluegrass, jazz and some rock. Still have a soft spot for the T40, and my current one is #3.

By the early to mid 1980's, lots of acts were looking for light, sexy, pointy and slimmed down instruments for rock, pop and big-hair music-this was the time when Steinbergers started making appearances. A bulky, heavy T40 probably didn't fit the image those acts were seeking. Plus, they didn't sound like P-basses or Jazz basses.

Peavey basses and guitars have never commanded top dollar in the used market, save for certain models like the Odessey. I got a great Falcon Custom for a bill and a half!

As the line of instruments progressed, I recall seeing Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd and many others playing Peavey basses later into the 1980s, but never remember seeing any national act with a T40. Until someone on the national front quits "following" the traditional lines, we'll just keep playing them and stay impressed by Hartley's first.

totallyfrozen

Post by totallyfrozen » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

IMO, there's nothing wrong with Fender (Precision or Jazz) and nothing wrong with Ernie Ball (Musicman).
I have a Peavey Milestone II that I bought for $109 in a pawn shop back in '96. It appeared to be *new* when the person had left it at the pawn shop. The shopkeeper told me that it had been available for sale less than 1 hour when I bought it. I took it to the only guitar shop that I trusted which is the only authorized Fender shop in my city. I had him set it up (intonation, actino height, etc.). He inspected the whole thing and said that basically had a brand new "Precision" bass for $109! The only mod that I've done to it was that I put Seymour Duncan QuarterPounder pick-ups in it about 9 years ago. It's a really great bass! It's pretty light at 8.8 lbs and sounds great too. I've jammed at parties with other musicians and kept the bottom end no problem--and received alot of compliments on the look and sound of the bass. There's nothing wrong with Peavey instruments!

Personally, I'm glad that the highly visible professionals DON'T use Peavey on stage because if they did, Peavey would cost more.

WebToad

Post by WebToad » Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 am

I am with you there TotallyFrozen. The lack of High Profile players may keep the prices down a little, but that helps really broke guys like me afford GREAT instruments.

A couple of years ago I found a Made in USA Fury, with the Pbass Pickup, in a local Pawnshop for a bill and a quarter. Like yours, mine is basically a USA Built Precision for $125.00.

Didn't intend to nick anybody, just to say that in some cases the value of an instrument is not a function of the price. Had Hartley courted high profile players, the money used to secure those endorsers would likely have been rolled into the unit cost. In some cases, high profile endorsers mean higher instrument costs.

Incidentally, on a recent episode of "Family Guy" they dropped in a video of Conway Twitty. His band was playing matching T60/T40 guitars and Peavey amps. By my guess, this would have been 78-79 era. Can't recall who was in CTs band at that time, but many of those Nashville studio guys are just amazing. Never surprised to see a T40 in a studio.

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Fri May 15, 2009 8:25 am

Drop on by the T-40 Forum. We could use a few more folks.

http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/login.forum?connexion
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

lewink

Post by lewink » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 pm

I believe Ross Valory (Journey) played one back in the day- look at the Depature or Captured era.

CanadianRob

Post by CanadianRob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:06 pm

I bought my first t40 when they came out back in the late 70's. Sold it in 1995 to pay for my divorce lawyer but managed to get a MINT first edition last year. I currently use a Cirrus and while I love it too, the T40 can do things it cannot. No other bass I have ever played or heard about is as versatile. What a jewel! At my age I don't give a rats a$$ about what anybody thinks about what I play. Too many young people are still concerned with buying an image machine rather than a good bass. Oh well, that just leaves more selection for the rest of us who really know the truth. Any USA made Peavey guitar or bass will play and sound as good as any other axe costing 2 to five times more. They should be considered national treasures, gear built for the working musician to use forever rather than an vehicle to just pump up profits of those companies that chose image over substance. Someday I would like to go down to Meridian and shake that mans hand and say "thanks, Hartley, for all of us".

robbierob

Post by robbierob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Nick Latona from Tera Melos plays a T-40

I highly suggest giving them a listen. They are the best thing out there right now.

phoaglan

Post by phoaglan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:17 pm

I have never played a T-40 but many have commented that is it very heavy. That may held it back

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:30 am

I think the heavy comment is just someone with headstockitis that doesn't want to be seen with a Peavey. I've played plenty of instruments that are heavy. My Les Pauls were heavier than my T-60s and T-40. You sure see plenty of folks with Les Pauls.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

peaveylover

Post by peaveylover » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 pm

Frank: How do I contact admin on the T60Mafia and T40 forums? My confirmation links don't work, so I can't post there, and can't find an admin button. Lee
edit 10:46 pm
Found an admin button on T40, but no help. T60 reply says that"email address already in use". Re-register and get basically the same thing.
T40 reply says "no such user exists". Re-register and I get "email address is already registered. User name already taken". Can't get anywhere past that. Lee.
T60
T40
T30
2 Predators (USA); (one by accident) One white, one black.
2 Epiphones; FT150 acoustic W/pup and a Studio Dot Semi-hollow.
Silvertone Strat copy
2 Washburns; one Delta KIng, one WI64 solid body.
Fender acoustic.
Crate GFX-30 amp.

peaveylover

Post by peaveylover » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 pm

robbierob wrote:Nick Latona from Tera Melos plays a T-40

I highly suggest giving them a listen. They are the best thing out there right now.
Just did. I may be in the wrong crowd if they're the best out there now. Just my opinion. Takes all kinds. Lee
T60
T40
T30
2 Predators (USA); (one by accident) One white, one black.
2 Epiphones; FT150 acoustic W/pup and a Studio Dot Semi-hollow.
Silvertone Strat copy
2 Washburns; one Delta KIng, one WI64 solid body.
Fender acoustic.
Crate GFX-30 amp.

Mongo

Post by Mongo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm

I want a T-40 to go with my T-60. Also, the bass player for the Atlanta Rhythm section used the T-40. (Paul Goddard) and yes, a lot of Ross Valery ads and videos out there. Peavey stuff rules. It's all I play. It beats any other brand out there.

Mongo...
Mongo...
"I'm not sure that I understand all that I know about this."

etechstan

Post by etechstan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

I just had a T40 that was donated to my church repaired; a little neck tweaking. Amazing! I can't play my SX's anymore (I really didn't want to play them). So many tones, and very versatile bass. Now to move up to the Cirrus BXP in a few months.
Fury V

nathanerik

Post by nathanerik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 am

Hahaha that is me in the picture up there (although my name is Nathan Latona, not Nick Latona).

I love my T-40. It is heavy, but that is one of the reasons I like it. It is so solid and indestructible feeling. I can't comment on the tone switches, though, because after breaking mine off a few times I had them all wired open and removed.

I have been told by more than a few people that they bought a t-40 after seeing mine. A friend of mine has a sunburst one that I am pretty jealous of.